Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP is a law firm with a reputation for its strong national and international practice spanning more than 40 areas of law. Throughout its existence, Schnader has remained committed to the original mission of excellence in practicing law, responsiveness to clients, and the provision of public service upon which the Firm was established. Bernard Segal, a founder of the Firm, believed that the "hallmark" of the Firm is its "dedication to the higher calling," which is "the lawyer's obligation to assume an active role in the pursuit of a just and ordered society, in helping to solve the emerging problems of social, economic and political importance...to serve the public as his or her client, as she or he would serve a full-paying client."
In 1935, following an unsuccessful bid for Governor of Pennsylvania, former state Attorney General William A. Schnader and Bernard G. Segal, former Deputy Attorney General, joined with Francis A. Lewis, who had been a partner in another law firm and the treasurer of Schnader's gubernatorial campaign, to form the law firm of Schnader & Lewis in Philadelphia. In the early years, the members of the Firm gained prominent clients and soon national recognition handling a major case heard by the Supreme Court of the United States. Schnader expanded its practice with the addition of a former Judge of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, Charles E. Kenworthey, and other experienced litigators from federal, state and city governments. In 1948, Earl G. Harrison, after resigning as Dean of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, joined the Firm. Harrison had achieved great distinction for his dedication to public service, including his highly honored wartime service as Commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization Service. On an assignment from President Truman, Harrison recommended that displaced persons in Europe be permitted to resettle in Palestine if they wished; his report was a major factor that led to American support for the establishment of Israel. To learn more about the report, please click here.
As the needs of the Firm expanded, it decided to increase its national presence by opening offices in Washington, D.C.; Wilmington, Delaware; New York, New York; Cherry Hill, New Jersey; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and San Francisco, California. The Firm also greatly expanded its corporate capabilities by combining with the prominent firm Mesirov Gelman Jaffe Cramer & Jamieson LLP in Philadelphia. Schnader attorneys have also earned recognition for their work in areas including aviation, intellectual property and finance, as issues within these fields continue to play critical roles in our nation today. Throughout the ongoing success of the Firm and the growth of its practice areas, its mission remains central and unifying: the commitment to excellence in practicing law; responsiveness to clients including adherence to high ethical standards and the pursuit of truth and fairness; and providing service to the communities in which the attorneys and their clients work and live.