The individuals listed below can speak knowledgeably on any topic related to his or her respective practice specialties, as well as offer comment on current trends and/or issues that relate to his or her background or areas of practice. The list is organized alphabetically by subject matter/area.
All individuals can be reached by contacting Michael Walsh, Sr. Communications Manager (phone: 215-751-2061; e-mail:
). Also, the list below is a representative, but not complete, listing of the kinds of topics on which Schnader attorneys can offer comment or analysis. If you are seeking comment on a topic not listed below, please contact Mr. Walsh.
||Contact Name, Background|
|Alternative Dispute Resolution
||The Honorable Timothy K. Lewis|
- Former federal appeals judge – served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit from 1992-1999.
- Past co-chair of Schnader's Appellate Practice Group.
- Also serves as a mediator, arbitrator, settlement counselor, and trial and appellate practitioner.
- Practice includes federal and state appeals, complex arbitration and mediation matters, commercial litigation, federal and state criminal cases and corporate investigations.
- Also has served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania; and, as an Assistant District Attorney in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
- Judge Lewis is a member of the Board of Directors for both the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution and the American Arbitration Association; he is also a member of the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution.
|Appellate Law, Appellate Litigation
||Carl A. Solano
- Chair of the Firm's Appellate Practice Group and Communications and Media Practice Group.
- His appellate and motions practice, which frequently focuses on matters of state and federal constitutional law, involves most fields of substantive law, including: bankruptcy, partnership law, insurance law, commercial transactions, fraudulent conveyance law and health care
- His First Amendment practice focuses primarily on advice and the defense of communications companies in libel and privacy matters, which he handles in both trial and appellate courts.
- His e-commerce practice covers the wide variety of challenges and cutting-edge issues presented by the continually evolving area of the Internet, including litigation relating to domain name ownership and control, and counseling Internet publishers about issues relating to content regulation.
|Appellate Law, Appellate Litigation, Appellate Brief Writing
- Past co-chair of the Firm's Litigation Services Department.
- Also chairs the Hiring Committee.
- Concentrates her practice in federal and state appellate litigation.
- Has handled cases in a variety of substantive areas before a number of appellate courts, including having presented argument before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Has spoken and written extensively on appellate practice.
- In 2004, Ms. Winkelman was selected as a fellow of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, making her the ninth lawyer--and the first woman--to be selected as a fellow from the Third Circuit.
||J. Denny Shupe|
- Former chair of Schnader's Litigation Services Department and of the Firm’s Product Liability Practice Group.
- Practice encompasses a wide variety of commercial and product liability litigation.
- He has represented domestic and foreign aviation interests, including aircraft, engine and component manufacturers, airlines and air taxi operators, and other aviation entities.
- A retired U.S. Air Force command pilot, he served more than 23 years in the active and reserve forces and has more than 4,400 hours of flight time on a variety of jet aircraft.
||Barry E. Bressler|
- Past chair of the Firm's Creditor's Rights Real Estate Practice.
- Handles a wide variety of real estate litigation, creditors' rights issues and bankruptcy matters.
- Has represented landlords and lenders in significant Chapter 11
- bankruptcies in Delaware, New York and Pennsylvania; additionally, has represented developers, owners, contractors and subcontractors in commercial mortgage foreclosures, suits against guarantors, loan workouts, commercial lease, brokerage commission, land use, landlord-tenant disputes and construction litigation.
- Served as treasurer of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference for five years.
||Carl A. Solano |
- Please see Mr. Solano's detailed listing above, under 'Appellate.'
||James J. Eisenhower |
- Chair of the Firm's Government and Regulatory Affairs Practice Group and co-chair of the Government Investigations, Corporate Compliance and Criminal Defense Group.
- Practice emphasis is on government relations, criminal law, investigative services, ethics and election law, and complex civil litigation.
- Very politically active, Mr. Eisenhower was the 2004 Democratic candidate for Attorney General of Pennsylvania.
|Environmental Law, Hazardous Substance Issues
||Robert L. Collings|
- A former enforcement attorney and manager at the E.P.A., he has more than 25 years of regulatory and litigation experience in environmental law and hazardous substance issues.
- Represents manufacturing, transportation, financial services, retail and real estate businesses with permit needs, claims, and transactional matters involving environmental or regulatory issues.
- Knowledgeable regarding matters involving solid and hazardous waste, as well as water and air pollution and contamination issues.
|Federal Courts (including specifically the Third Circuit), Complex Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation, Appellate Litigation, Labor and Employment matters
||The Honorable Timothy K. Lewis|
- Please see Judge Lewis' detailed listing above, under 'Alternative Dispute Resolution.'
|First Amendment & Media Law
||Carl A. Solano|
- Please see Mr. Solano's detailed listing above, under 'Appellate.'
|Government and Regulatory Affairs
||James J. Eisenhower
- Please see Mr. Eisenhower's detailed listing above, under 'Election Law.'
||Joan T. Kluger |
- Co-chair of Schnader's Intellectual Property Practice Group and managing partner of Schnader's Delaware office.
- Her practice includes domestic and international patent, trademark and copyright procurement, especially with regard to the electrical, physics and computer fields.
- Her practice also includes intellectual property litigation and licensing.
- She has drafted and prosecuted patent applications for key inventions in telecommunications and semiconductor technologies.
- Before attending law school, Ms. Kluger was engaged in research and development in the semiconductor and aeronautics industries.
|Labor and Employment Matters
||Michael J. Wietrzychowski|
- Serves as co-chair of the Firm's Labor and Employment Practices Group.
- His practice involves a wide range of labor and employment matters.
- Topics he frequently is called on to address in the employment arena include: discrimination and harassment matters, retaliation and whistle blower matters, occupational safety and health ("OSHA") matters, and family and medical leave matters.
- Topics he frequently is called on to address in the labor arena include: strikes, lockouts, pickets, business closures and/or relocations, downsizing, collective bargaining agreement negotiations; unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and union organizing campaigns.
- Serves as a director of the Burlington County (NJ) Chamber of Commerce, and is chair of the Chamber’s Labor and Employment committee.
|Product Liability, Mass Torts
- Mr. Watkins is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on complex litigation arising out of all aspects of the manufacture and sale of goods.
- In addition to representing manufacturers in product liability and contract matters, he has represented their financial and lending divisions in disputes involving the sale and financing of such products.
- Mr. Watkins formerly served as an assistant district attorney for the City of Philadelphia and as a Scotland Yard detective inspector focused on white-collar crime and crime scene examination.
- He served in the Royal Navy for 10 years as an engineer and aviator.
|Real Estate (especially as it relates to Government Contracts & Government Affairs)
||Marilyn Z. Kutler|
- Ms. Kutler's practice centers on real estate and government contracts, with emphasis on complex public, private and institutional projects, including projects involving governmental units and educational institutions.
- She has experience in land-use planning for complex public-private developments, such as sports and entertainment arenas (stadiums), convention centers, new construction in historic districts, heavy industrial developments and energy facilities.
- Ms. Kutler joined Schnader after serving in the Law Department of the City of Philadelphia for more than 10 years, where she focused on public-sector business and real estate matters.
- After supervising the city's legal work in many major projects, she joined the Mayor's Cabinet in 1984 when she became City Solicitor. She served as Philadelphia's chief legal counsel on many of the city's commercial ventures with developers and mixed public-private funding.
|White Collar Criminal Defense
||Elizabeth K. Ainslie|
- Ms. Ainslie is a dynamic, creative, successful litigator who was named one of "America's Top 50 Women Litigators" by The National Law Journal.
- The primary areas of law in which she focuses her practice include criminal defense, corporate compliance, government investigations, and RICO litigation.
- From 1979 to 1984, Ms. Ainslie was a federal prosecutor for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, serving as the chief of the Fraud Section from 1983 to 1984.
- Ms. Ainslie has been included annually in The Best Lawyers in America.
- She is also listed as a "Pennsylvania Super Lawyer," and highlighted as one of the top lawyers (male and female) in the state.
- Ms. Ainslie is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and served as chair of its Federal Criminal Rules Committee. She is the current Pennsylvania chair of the college.
- She is also a fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.