Mr. Letwin's legal practice includes all areas of business counseling including corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions, securities, franchising, municipal and government services, real estate finance and development. He counsels enterprises in the interface between governmental and economic development agencies and devises financing strategies utilizing both private and public partnerships.
Mr. Letwin is co-chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group and chair of the Franchise Practice Group. He has extensive experience representing franchisors in all aspects of developing and managing a franchise business.
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
Corporate and Real Estate Transactions
Mr. Letwin's transactional experience runs the gamut from intricate public/private partnerships including energy, infrastructure and transportation deals to counseling emerging growth businesses in planning, startup, financing and related issues to complex real estate acquisitions and divestitures, lease transactions and financings.
Representation of national logistics company in three separate transactions for the acquisition of three Midwest regional freight companies.
Representation of an international vertically-integrated produce company in the acquisition of a produce distribution company
Representation of a strategic investment company focused on food manufacturers in the acquisition of a specialty meat manufacturer.
Representation of the Allegheny County Airport Authority in a transaction with CNX Gas Company, estimated to be worth $500 million in lease and royalty payments for the oil and gas exploration rights at Pittsburgh International Airport.
Represented an international investment fund in the acquisition and restart of an idled Fortune 100 food manufacturing facility.
Represented a client in negotiation and financing of the acquisition of an idled consumer products manufacturer, including assembling six levels of government/economic development financing.
Represented an international infrastructure fund and parking management company in the negotiation of the acquisition of the parking assets of a major metropolitan municipality, which ultimately decided to maintain its assets.
Representation of the Allegheny County Airport Authority in the acquisition of the assets of Pittsburgh International and Allegheny County Airport, as well as the formation of the Authority.
Representation of the Allegheny County Airport through the bankruptcies of its hub carrier including the renegotiation of the Airline Operating Agreement and leases for special purpose facilities.
Served as Co-Counsel in the acquisition of an acquisition of a public utility by an international infrastructure fund.
Corporate and Government Finance
Mr. Letwin has represented the City Water and Sewer Authority in structuring and financing the sale/leaseback of assets and has represented a national "big box" retail chain in financing and developing its corporate headquarters. His other accomplishments include:
- Acted as indenture trustee in municipal debt's issuances.
- Representation of underwriters and issuers of taxable and tax exempt industrial development and municipal finance.
- Formation of 34 Act registered closed-end small business investment fund.
- Private placement for numerous small- to mid-sized issuers.
Representation of a number of national franchise "chain" operators from their inception to development of their franchise plans, advising on all documentation and registration matters and on ongoing matters affecting their systems.
Current & Former
- Governor Wolf's Transition Team for Public Utility Commission, Member
- Pittsburgh Capital Venture Association, Board of Directors
- U.S. Global Leadership Coalition's Pennsylvania Advisory Committee, Member
- VisitPittsburgh, Past Chairman, Ex-Officio Board Member
- Port Authority of Allegheny County, Past Chairman, Current Board Member and Past-Chair of Professional Oversight Committee
- Pennsylvania Economy League, Board of Directors
- Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative, Board Member
- Pittsburgh 250, Commission Member and Co-Chair of Homecoming & Reunion Committee
- The Welcome Center for Immigrants and Internationals, Board Member
- Airports Council International, Legal Committee Steering Groups, Vice Chair, 2007; Chair, 2008; Member, 2004-present
- American Associates, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Pittsburgh Chapter, Chairman
- Jewish Family & Children's Services, Board Member
- United Jewish Federation, Trustee
- Holocaust Center of Greater Pittsburgh, Past Chair
- Jewish Healthcare Foundation, Trustee; Board Member, Government Relations Committee & Pennsylvania Regional Health Care Initiative, 2008-2014
- Pittsburgh Israel Chamber of Commerce, Chair and Co-founder, 1993-1999
- Jewish Association on Aging, Board of Directors, Member, 1996-2002
- Leadership Pittsburgh, Executive Committee and Board Member, 1997-2003
- Pittsburgh Filmmakers, Board of Directors, Member, 2003-2006
- Allegheny County Airport Authority, Solicitor, 1999-2011; Special Counsel, 2011-present
- City of Pittsburgh, Planning Commissioner, 1997-2006
- Allegheny County Sanitary Authority, Board of Directors, Member 2000-2004
ATTORNEY SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1979
University of Pittsburgh, B.A., 1975
U.S. Supreme Court
Western District of Pennsylvania
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
District of Columbia, 1980
- Airports Council International Legal Committee, vice chair, 2007; chair, 2008
- Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association
- Allegheny Conference Regional Investor
- National Association of Securities Dealers, arbitrator
- New York Stock Exchange, arbitrator
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of franchise law, 2009-2015; municipal law, 2010-2015; and real estate law, 2012-2015
- Named "Pittsburgh Lawyer of the Year for Municipal Law" by The Best Lawyers in America, 2012
- Noted as a "Pennsylvania Super Lawyer" for business/corporate law, 2004-2006, 2008-2013
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Listed in The Bond Buyer's Municipal Marketplace ("The Red Book")
- Israel Service Award, 1998
- Partner with Israel Award/Israel Bonds, 1992
- Graduate/Leadership Pittsburgh, 1990
- UJF/Stark Young Leadership Award, 1989
- Graduate/Leadership Cabinet/UJA, 1988
- Young Business & Professional Chair Award/UJF, 1987