Sam has litigated matters concerning products as diverse as heavy industrial machinery, pharmaceuticals and food supplements and also has tried multiple product liability cases and handled multiple nationwide recalls ranging from automotive parts to recreational products and toys. He has been involved extensively in mass tort product liability litigation.
Sam has represented serious equestrians in all manner of disputes concerning their sport and business. He also serves on the planning committee and is a frequent speaker at the National Conference on Equine Law.
- He has defended several members of the profession in disciplinary hearings before the governing body of the equestrian sport in the United States;
- He defended an international horse trader against fraud and related claims associated with the purchase and sale of horses and the management of horse farm operations;
- He has handled multiple matters (some in the courts, others before litigation ensued) stemming from disagreements over the terms and conditions of sales of valuable show horses;
- He regularly advises equestrians concerning their business operations and contracts.
Sam has handled a broad array of intellectual property cases involving trademarks, trade secrets and claims of patent infringement. These cases have included:
Pro Bono and Civil Rights Matters
- A dispute between an internationally-known celebrity and her former business partners, whom Sam defended;
- The defense of a university professor accused of misappropriating trade secrets from a private company; and
- The prosecution of claims on behalf of a manufacturer of a product used by the military against an alleged infringer of that product.
- Sam successfully obtained a full acquittal on murder charges brought against the Firm’s pro bono client William J. Barnes. Barnes was charged with causing the death of Philadelphia Police Officer Walter T. Barclay in 2007, 41 years after Barnes had shot and partially paralyzed Barclay. Sam discussed the case on The Michael Smerconish Show, a nationally syndicated news and talk show on Philadelphia's CBS Radio affiliate, 1210 AM WPHT, on May 25. His discussion on the show can be heard by clicking on the following links:
Schnader's Sam Silver Discusses Barnes Case on The Michael Smerconish Show, Part 1
Schnader's Sam Silver Discusses Barnes Case on The Michael Smerconish Show, Part 2
- Sam has challenged himself and others at our Firm by repeatedly leading teams of trial lawyers in successful attacks on death sentences. Twice, these teams have persuaded courts to vacate death sentences imposed by juries and to grant retrials, and in both cases, with Sam as lead trial counsel, these teams have obtained unanimous verdicts in favor of our clients when they have gone before new juries.
- In addition, for more than a decade Sam has been a coordinator of the Prisoner Civil Rights Panel for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; and, at the request of the court, Sam participated in the Third Circuit's Task Force on Counsel for Indigent Litigants in Civil Cases.
- Sam discussed his experiences in capital cases on "One on One with Steve Adubato" on CN8, The Comcast Network. To view the segment, please click here.