Representative Mediation Experience
Mr. Merenstein’s mediation and related matters include the following:
Representative Appellate Practice
- Serving as court-appointed Special Master in three complex federal cases: multidistrict litigation involving claims against a pharmaceutical company; a false claims act case; and a securities dispute;
- Mediating and facilitating resolution of dozens of discovery disputes regarding attorney-client privilege, document production, electronically-stored information, fact and expert depositions, medical examinations, third-party discovery, and other contested issues;
- Successfully mediating nine separate objections to proposed distribution of $143 million common benefit fee among 17 law firms;
- Resolving disputes between seven state attorneys general and common benefit fee committee over states’ contributions to common benefit fund;
- Assisting in resolution of two large inventories of personal injury cases;
- Helping to craft voluntary lien resolution program adopted by approximately 45 health care plans, numerous plaintiffs, and defendant for handling third-party lien claims; and
- Serving as Judge Pro Tem in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, presiding over mandatory settlement conferences in major jury cases.
Mr. Merenstein’s appellate practice has included the preparation and editing of hundreds of briefs, supervision of other lawyers’ brief drafting, and presentation of dozens of oral arguments in a wide variety of appeals in federal and state court. His appellate representations have run the full gamut of civil and criminal matters, covering numerous constitutional, statutory, and common law subject matters, as well as regulatory, procedural, and jurisdictional issues. He also has joined trial teams as appellate counsel, handling all motion briefing and argument in the trial court, developing the legal arguments to complement the trial team’s presentation of the facts, and taking responsibility for such matters as issue preservation and proposed jury instructions.
Representative Trial Experience
Mr. Merenstein’s trial practice has included roles as lead counsel and co-lead counsel in civil and criminal matters at both jury and bench trials; second-chair responsibility in many additional jury and bench trials; and briefing and arguing numerous pre-trial and post-trial dispositive motions.