Ms. Lor focuses her practice on business and commercial litigation and insolvency matters. She also has experience in corporate and financial transactions and employment disputes. Ms. Lor represents financial institutions, federal receivers, and chapter 7 and 11 trustees, debtors, creditors, and asset purchasers in all phases of the bankruptcy process.
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Counsel to a chapter 11 trustee in the bankruptcy case of one of the nation's largest growers and processors of vegetable products. Pursue claims of fraudulent conveyance, quiet title, and substantive consolidation against debtor's numerous affiliated entities, and handle cross-border insolvency issues to protect and enforce the estate's claims to assets in Australia.
- Counsel to an international bank in multiple transactions to enforce client's rights and remedies against borrowers in distressed business situations. Assist bank with various claims of breach of loan agreements, breach of commercial guaranties, appointment of receiver, trustee's foreclosure sale, and deficiency judgment. Negotiate out-of-court workouts and settlements that are favorable to the client.
- Counsel to a governmental agency in its capacity as federal receiver for various small business investment companies in pursuing claims for unfunded capital commitments, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty. Successfully recovered millions of dollars owed by investors to the partnership on behalf of the receivership estate.
- Counsel to a secured lender of an owner/operator in the hospitality industry. Advise client in state court proceedings and ensuing chapter 11 reorganization case to protect its collateral in multiple commercial properties and ensure repayment on loans.
- Counsel to a major institutional bank that serves as trustee for hundreds of collateralized debt obligation transactions. Prepare UCC notices and other materials upon event of default, including notices of acceleration, liquidation of collateral, public sale and bid invitations.
- Counsel to a municipal authority in employment disputes related to lessee's compliance with living wage laws and other labor-related issues.
- Lead attorney representing a 19-year-old undocumented individual who was placed in immigration custody upon arrest for riding in the car of an unlicensed driver. Bond amount was set at $5,000 due to his failure to appear in court for a previous infraction. Successfully argued that the bond amount was excessive and inappropriate, given his circumstances as an aspiring citizen eligible for the deferred action for childhood arrivals policy. Upon consideration, the court reduced the bond amount significantly.
- Represented a church pastor who required immediate assistance before a Palm Sunday service in April 2012, by preparing and obtaining a civil restraining order against the defendant to prevent potential harassment. We have continued to represent this pastor in subsequent legal proceedings with the defendant.
ATTORNEY SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D., Certificate in Dispute Resolution, 2006
University of California at Berkeley, B.A., Political Science, 2002
U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Central Districts of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Honorable Christopher M. Klein, U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Ninth Circuit, 2007-2008
Honorable Christopher M. Klein, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California, 2006-2007
Honorable Maureen A. Tighe, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California (judicial extern), 2005
- Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area, Education Committee, immediate past co-chair and current member
- International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Northern California Chapter, webmaster and member
- Bar Association of San Francisco, member
- Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum, member
- State Bar of California, member; Business Law Section, member
- Legal Advice and Referral Clinic of Bar Association of San Francisco, volunteer attorney