Mr. Fickes focuses his practice on complex commercial and appellate litigation. He has represented institutions and individuals in a broad range of matters, from contract disputes to class actions alleging violations of federal and state law.
Prior to joining Schnader, Mr. Fickes served as a law clerk to the Honorable Timothy J. Savage in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He also was a summer associate with the Firm in 2009 and previously served as a legal fellow to the National Democratic Institute for International Affairs in Kathmandu, Nepal.
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Obtained a defense verdict in a civil rights case against an air carrier following the plaintiff’s removal from a flight for suspicious behavior.
- Assisted in the defense of a rail carrier against claims by a putative class stemming from a derailment and chemical release.
- Appellate counsel for a national supermarket chain in an appeal of a commercial-lease dispute before the Pennsylvania Superior Court.
- Appellate counsel for a rail carrier in an appeal before the Pennsylvania Superior Court of the trial court’s dismissal of the case based on forum non conveniens.
- Appellate counsel for a rail carrier in an appeal before the Pennsylvania Superior Court of the trial court's protective order and Frye rulings.
- Appellate counsel for an individual challenging the dismissal of her medical malpractice action as untimely under the Federal Tort Claims Act in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Briefed and argued an incarcerated individual's appeal in the Third Circuit challenging the constitutionality of his continued detention.
- Successfully represented an individual in asylum proceedings.
- Successfully represented an individual in an unemployment compensation benefits hearing.
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2010
University of Chicago, M.A., International Relations, 2006
Willamette University, B.A., Politics, college honors, 2003
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
District of Columbia, 2012
New Jersey, 2011
Honorable Timothy J. Savage, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Recognized by the Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2012-2014
- Temple Law Review, Managing Editor, 2009-2010
- Rubin Public Interest Law Honor Society, Member
- Recipient of the J. Howard Reber Award for excellence in writing for Temple Law Review
- Recipient of the Institute for International Law and Public Policy Award for best paper in the field of international law and public policy