Mr. Wietrzychowski serves as co-chair of the Firm's Labor and Employment Practices Group, and has extensive national experience with all types of labor and employment matters -- representing corporations and select professionals and executives before various federal, state, local, and administrative tribunals. Mr. Wietrzychowski also has extensive experience with environmental, land use and commercial litigation matters. Mr. Wietrzychowski has served as City Solicitor for the City of Burlington, Solicitor for the Delran Township Zoning Board, Co-Solicitor for the Mount Laurel Board of Education, and has served as a commercial Arbitrator for New Jersey courts. Mr. Wietrzychowski also has been quoted in national publications such as Businessweek
. Mr. Wietrzychowski has been named a "New Jersey Super Lawyer" for labor and employment law (2006-2011).
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Mr. Wietrzychowski counsels employers on a daily basis with various labor and employment issues geared towards early and cost-effective resolution and litigation avoidance.
- Mike frequently advises clients with crafting and implementing litigation avoidance strategies, drafting, implementing and updating human resources policies, management and employee training, and drafting and implementing employment, non-competition, and arbitration agreements.
- Mike represents employers and select executive employees with developing exit strategies and reviewing severance agreements.
- Mike frequently counsels employers on significant employment issues, such as workforce restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, downsizings, employee terminations, and drafting and implementing severance agreements.
- Mike frequently counsels employers on compliance with federal and state laws, including discrimination (Title VII and New Jersey's Law Against Discrimination), wage and hour, disability, family and medical leave (FMLA), health and safety, and other laws and regulations governing the workplace.
Employment Law Litigation
- Mr. Wietrzychowski assists employers with significant labor matters, such as union-management arbitration, collective bargaining agreement negotiations, National Labor Relations Board proceedings, including unfair labor practice charges and union representation elections, appeals of arbitration and NLRB decisions, employer relocations, downsizings, restructurings, mergers and acquisitions in a unionized environment, and union arbitration and litigation under ERISA.
- Mike served as the primary defense attorney in JS Mechanical, Inc. and Sheet Metal Workers Int'l. Ass'n., Local Union 19, where the National Labor Relations Board upheld an administrative law judge's decision that the employer did not engage in illegal anti-union practices by failing to hire union employees.
- Mike has served as special labor and employment counsel and contract negotiator for various public entities, including the City of Burlington, Evesham Township, and the Cinnaminson Township Fire District.
- Mike successfully litigated, arbitrated and negotiated a large national company's relocation and facility closure efforts, and in the process, allayed the union's negative media campaign.
- Mike has successfully defended employers in class action matters brought by the U.S. Department of Labor and unionized employees under wage and hour (FLSA) laws and health and safety (OSHA) laws.
- Mike has successfully represented numerous employers during union representation elections and accompanying unfair labor practice charges brought by unions.
- Mike has successfully negotiated and settled numerous union ERISA matters brought by union health and welfare benefit funds against employers for contributions and delinquencies.
- Mike has successfully prepared and implemented strike contingency plans and other strategies focused on allaying adverse union conduct.
- Mr. Wietrzychowski assists employers with significant employment litigation matters, such as state and federal litigation under federal and state discrimination, harassment, OSHA, wage and hour laws, family and medical leave laws, disability laws (ADA), retaliation and CEPA ("whistleblower") claims, and business competition litigation, including injunctions to protect confidential employer information, enforcement of non-compete agreements, and matters involving employer "raiding."
- Mike served as the primary defense attorney on Stricker v. Eastern Offroad, Inc., where he successfully secured dismissal of a former employee's state and federal wage and hour claims prior to trial.
- Mike served as lead trial defense attorney and a key appellate attorney on Varallo v. Elkins Park Hosp., a case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, where the hospital successfully reversed a lower court's decision and won dismissal of an employee's discrimination and harassment law suit - forcing the employee to arbitrate her claims under the company's arbitration policy.
- Mike successfully defended a national autoparts distributor in federal court -- securing dismissals of two employees' race discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful discharge cases prior to trial.
- Mike successfully defended a large construction and development company in New Jersey state court -- securing dismissal of an employee's sexual harassment and constructive discharge claims before trial.
- Mike successfully defended and secured no probable cause determinations for numerous clients before federal and state civil rights and labor agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and New Jersey's Division on Civil Rights.
- Mike has successfully secured injunctive relief enforcing non-compete agreements on behalf of employers. He also has invalidated employment contracts and non-compete agreements on behalf of corporate executives.
ATTORNEY SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1993
University of Maryland, College Park, M.S., 1989
Hartwick College, B.S., 1985
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
New Jersey, 1993
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, District Ethics Committee, member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, member
- Burlington County Bar Association, member
- Burlington County Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, Director
- Burlington County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors’ Liaison to the Labor and Employment Committee
- Selected by Lawdragon as one of the nation's top employment attorneys, 2012
- Recognized as one of South Jersey Magazine's "Awesome Attorneys" for labor and employment law, 2012
- Named a 'New Jersey Super Lawyer' for labor and employment law by Super Lawyers, a Thomas Reuters publication, 2006-2011
- The Temple Law Review, staff member and associate editor