Ms. Kane is co-chair of Schnader’s Litigation Services Department and the Privacy and Data Security Practice Group. An experienced civil litigator, she has handled a broad range of employment and commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts for regional, national, and international clients. Ms. Kane has extensive experience litigating cases involving claims of employment discrimination, the enforcement of restrictive covenants, and other employment disputes. She regularly counsels employers on a wide range of employment issues, including compliance with state and federal laws, recruitment and hiring, employment contracts, restrictive covenants, employment policies and handbooks, and personnel decisions. In addition, Ms. Kane has substantial experience conducting independent workplace investigations involving discrimination/harassment claims, whistleblower allegations and corporate misconduct. She also counsels clients regarding privacy and data security issues, as well as breach notification obligations under state and federal law.
News & Publications
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- ‘Privacy Shield’ Replacing Invalidated EU-US Safe Harbor Agreement is Open for Business, but Challenges to its Validity are Expected
- The DOL’s Final Overtime Rule: Survival Strategies for Nonprofit Organizations
- Overtime Exemption Changes Expected Next Week
- Philadelphia’s “Ban the Box” Ordinance Now Applies to All Private Employers
- Non-Competes Must Be Supported By Consideration in Pennsylvania: No Exception Based On Employee’s Agreement To Be Legally Bound
- Data Security and the FTC: FTC v. Wyndham Worldwide Corp.
- Contextual Privacy: What Is It and Why Does It Matter?
- No Right to Jury Trial Under Pennsylvania’s Whistleblower Statute
- Philadelphia ordinance requires reasonable accommodation for pregnancy and childbirth
- Bring Your Own Device Policies: 10 Practical Steps to Minimize Risk
- Attorneys’ Fees Provisions: Not a Blank Check to Overreach
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Update: The Proposed Mortgage Servicing Rules
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Proposes New Rules for Mortgage Servicers
- How to Avoid “Cat’s Paw” Discrimination Claims – How Subordinate Bias Can Taint an Otherwise Non-Discriminatory Employment Decision
- University of California, Davis, J.D., 1991
- University of Iowa, M.A., 1984
- University of Iowa, B.A., 1979
- Alaska, 1995
- Pennsylvania, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Ninth Circuits
- Chief Justice Daniel A. Moore, Alaska Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, member
- Alaska Bar Association, member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, member
- Pennsylvania Parking Association, member
- Listed in The Best Lawyers of America for Employment Law-Management, 2018-2021
- Conduct independent workplace investigations involving discrimination/harassment claims, whistleblower allegations and corporate misconduct.
- Advise employers regarding employee termination issues, including the review and drafting of severance and non-compete agreements.
- Advise employers regarding the drafting, implementing and updating of human resources policies.
- Advise employers regarding affirmative action obligations, defenses to OFCCP jurisdiction and OFCCP compliance issues.
- Conduct training for management employees on workplace discrimination, harassment and privacy laws.
- Advise employers regarding privacy and data breach laws.
- Draft and negotiate executive employment agreements.
Labor and Employment Litigation
- Successfully defended a financial institution in ERISA breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
- Litigated and brought to a successful conclusion an employment discrimination lawsuit filed by a former employee of a major financial institution.
- Defended Pennsylvania state agency in PHRC proceedings involving allegations of sexual discrimination.
- Defended EEOC charges of discrimination under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act for a variety of clients including financial institutions, health care organizations and national retailers.
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment of a federal wage and hour class action lawsuit filed by the employees of a national security firm providing paramedic services in remote areas along the Alaska pipeline.
- Assisted employers in a variety of lawsuits involving the enforcement of non-compete and confidentiality agreements.
- Successfully defended a sexual discrimination lawsuit against a national security firm.
- Represented national railroad in an economic loss class action arising out of a train derailment where denial of class certification was obtained.
- Successfully defended a national railroad against multimillion dollar construction overrun and delay claims arising out of the installation of fiber optic cable along railroad right-of-way.
- Defense of research hospital in trade secret dispute arising out of collaboration with third party scientists.
- Represented a national manufacturer in environmental insurance coverage litigation.
- Represented both condemnors and condemnees in eminent domain litigation.
- Obtained a summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, in contractual dispute between former and current property owners regarding allocation of $42 million environmental clean up and insurance rights.
- Represented regional and national parking operators and management companies in eminent domain, lease, and maintenance disputes.
- Jo Bennett and Anne Kane Spoke at Employment Law Seminar
- Anne Kane Spoke on the Affordable Act and Other Developments in Employment Law
- Anne Kane and Ira Richards Presented “Protecting the Privacy of Your Employees and Customers”
- Schnader’s Women’s Initiative Hosts Networking Event at the Curtis Institute of Music
- Anne Kane Presented “The OFCCP’s New Rules for Veterans”
- “Data Breach: Your Organization Needs a Plan”
- “2013: The Year of the Whistleblower?” Association of Corporate Counsel Delaware Valley (DELVACCA) Chapter Roundtable