Brittany C. Wakim is an associate in the firm’s Litigation Services Department, and a member of the firm’s Women LEAD Committee. Ms. Wakim focuses on the defense of eminent domain, products liability, and aviation matters. Her practice also includes class action, land use, commercial, and financial service matters. She also has significant experience with professional liability, medical device litigation, and medical malpractice litigation.
Ms. Wakim has extensive experience in all areas of case management and phases of litigation. Her practice involves development of case strategy, drafting pleadings, preparing and responding to discovery, motion practice, preparation of witnesses for deposition and trial testimony, retention of expert witnesses and participation in trial preparation, trial, and settlement negotiations.
Ms. Wakim previously served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Theresa Sarmina in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. She also served as an adjunct faculty member at Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law, where she taught an upper level writing course and served as a trial team coach and volunteer with the Trial Advocacy program.
Ms. Wakim is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
News & Publications
- In for a Penny, in for a Pound: The Pennsylvania Superior Court Holds that the Fair Share Act Apportionment of Liability Among Defendants Applies Only in Situations where a Plaintiff is Comparatively at Fault
- Aviation Happenings: Spring 2021
- Warning for Businesses: Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules Violations of the State’s Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Act Do Not Require Intent
- New Rules from U.S. Department of Transportation: Tell Your Emotional Support Peacocks to Stay Home – This Is a Dog’s World Now
- The City of Philadelphia Issues 180-Day Moratorium on Restaurant Evictions
- Third Circuit Declines to Extend Equitable Tolling to Untimely Medical Malpractice Claim Brought Under the Federal Tort Claims Act
- 5th Circ. Attys Should Be Ready to File for Removal in a Snap
- Aviation Happenings – Summer 2019
- Aviation Happenings – Spring 2019
- Less Snap Back After A Quick Snap Removal: Third Circuit Approves Snap Removals Before Forum Defendant Service
- Aviation Happenings – Winter 2018
- Aviation Happenings- Fall 2018
- Aviation Happenings- Summer 2018
- Why The 3rd Circ. Allowed Removal in Encompass
- Aviation Happenings- Spring 2018
- Legal Issues for Gastroenterologists: Part II: If You Have Been Sued, Steps to Assist in Your Defense
- Legal Issues for Gastroenterologists: Part I: Helping Yourself Before You Have Been Sued
- ES Professional Liability Update
- Disclosure of Adverse Events to Patient and Family
- ES Professional Liability Update
- Risk Management Handbook for Healthcare Organizations
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy Case File, Powell v. SuperPulper Teaching Manual
Community & Pro Bono
Ms. Wakim’s community and pro bono focus is on youth, access to justice, and civil rights. She has handled federal civil rights cases on behalf of prisoner’s lack of access to adequate medical care and has assisted with the defense of an atheist group’s First Amendment rights to free speech.
Ms. Wakim volunteers in the community with the Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, MANNA, and TEAM Coalition to promote alcohol safety and awareness. Ms. Wakim also serves on the membership committee of the Racquet Club of Philadelphia.
Pro Bono Matters
- Represented an individual in an Eighth Amendment, federal civil rights case regarding failure to provide adequate medical care.
- Assisted in the representation of an atheist group in a free speech case against a county transit system whose advertisement restrictions violated the First Amendment.
- MANNA – Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance, Volunteer
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer
- Special Olympics, Volunteer
- TEAM Coalition, Volunteer
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Gala Committee
- Racquet Club of Philadelphia, Member, Membership Committee
- Phi Beta Kappa, Member
- Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Trial Team, 2014
- Boston University, B.A., Economics, with distinction, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2011
- Pennsylvania, 2014
- New Jersey, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- Law360’s Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Editorial Board, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
- Large Firm Associates Committee of Philadelphia Bar Association
- Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law American Inn of Court
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America Ones to Watch, 2021
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2017-2020
- Law school awards include: James J. Manderino Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy, presented by the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, and Marshall Brennan Award for Excellence in Teaching and Community Service
- Phi Beta Kappa, member
Broad-based experience in complex commercial, products liability, and eminent domain matters in both state and federal courts. Representative matters include the following:
- Represented government municipality in defending a dispute alleging a de facto condemnation of property in connection with proceedings to value the property following a de jure condemnation.
- Represented a national airline in multidistrict and state litigation arising from a mid-air engine failure and depressurization.
- Represented a private franchise owner in a breach of contract action for back-pay from a former employee.
- Represented a mortgage insurer in an action instituted by a loan servicer involving the challenged disposition of over 7,000 mortgage insurance claims in the aftermath of the housing collapse.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer in a products liability action involving the transport of various auto parts.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in products liability action for multinational automotive corporation.