Cary Sklaren is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department. A trial lawyer with extensive experience in high-profile matters, he focuses his practice on products liability, asbestos, and commercial litigation.
Mr. Sklaren currently handles New York asbestos and products liability litigation, commercial litigation, and issues involving the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other federal regulatory agencies. Past experience includes serving for many years as national lead counsel for asbestos friction litigation on behalf of an international vehicle manufacturer. In this role, he developed, managed and implemented national strategy and case-specific tactics. He has represented domestic and foreign manufacturers, importers, suppliers, distributors and service business entities in state and federal litigation. In addition, he has litigated issues involving prescription and over-the-counter drugs, devices, cosmetics, toiletries, and household products.
Mr. Sklaren previously served as in-house counsel for two major domestic automobile manufacturers, where he managed a litigation department, created national strategy for products liability litigation, and oversaw dockets of rollover and fuel tank fire litigation. He also served in-house at a global biopharmaceutical company. Mr. Sklaren served as an Army Captain with the American Division in Chu Lai, Vietnam.
Mr. Sklaren is an adjunct professor of law at New York Law School, where he has taught New York practice and products liability. He has authored numerous products liability and litigation articles and treatise chapters.
News & Publications
- Veterans Day Reflections: How Military Service Benefits Our Work in the Law
- Veterans Day 2020: Schnader Celebrates Our Military Veterans
- The Scope of the COVID-19 Toll of CPLR Time Limits in New York
- Another Possible Problem Caused by Covid-19: Check the Accuracy of Your Address for Service of Process with State Authorities and Avoid Default Judgments
- EPA Calls for Public Comment on “Draft Risk Evaluation for Asbestos”
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1967
- New York University, B.A., 1964
- New York, 1969
- Michigan, 1980
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Civil Practice Law and Rules Committee, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Served as national lead counsel for asbestos/friction products liability cases on behalf of an international vehicle manufacturer.
- Created national litigation strategy and individual case tactics, including training of in-house and outside experts, in serial toxic torts and products liability litigation.
- Counseled international clients regarding toxic torts, products liability, regulatory matters, marketing, advertising, warnings, record retention, employee training, general commercial, general tort, environmental, and primary and excess insurance issues.
- Arbitrations and trials in New York state and federal courts of numerous products liability, commercial litigation, asbestos, and general tort cases.
- Representation of clients before federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Acted as lead counsel for an Eastern European nation at trial in a multi-million dollar breach of contract action.