Chuck Harlow is a partner in the Litigation Services Department and a member of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee. He concentrates his practice in civil and business litigation, arbitration, mediation and litigation avoidance, and is experienced in all phases of litigation including trial in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Harlow’s litigation practice includes representation of regional, national and multinational clients in consumer products, financial services, product liability and employment matters. His work encompasses all phases of litigation, including pre-litigation avoidance and resolution, traditional and e-discovery, law and motion practice, pre-trial preparation, and conducting trials. He also is experienced in implementing and supervising electronic discovery and client database search projects for compliance with best practices and court requirements. Mr. Harlow has also been involved in a number of multi-district litigation (MDL) and class action lawsuits in federal courts.
Mr. Harlow’s clients include automobile, industrial machinery, oil and gas, and chemical manufacturers and refiners; auto parts and construction materials retailers; and financial services providers. He also provides counsel on products subject to California’s chemical disclosure law (Proposition 65).
News & Publications
Community & Pro Bono
- Mr. Harlow’s community and pro bono efforts are focused on past and present involvement in community arts organizations, schools and education, and church and religious communities. He has also represented non-violent prisoners incarcerated under discriminatory and outdated federal crack cocaine sentencing guidelines in clemency petitions.
- Brigham Young University—J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., 1996
- Brigham Young University, B.A., History, 1991
- California, 1999
- Georgia, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Earl G. Harrison Community Service Award, 2018
- Order of the Barristers
- A. Sherman Christensen American Inn of Court, Pupil
- Negotiated favorable settlement for automobile manufacturer in consumer warranty claim by conducting case assessment and serving Section 998 compromise early in litigation. The 998 served as an effective backstop to limit potential recovery and attorney’s fees, and ultimately helped drive settlement negotiations in favor of client.
- Represented cooling tower manufacturer in wrongful death litigation brought by family of bystander claiming injuries caused by proximity to client’s employees who were working near him. Persuaded the trial court by seeking summary judgment that client’s absence in the underlying personal injury case made decedent’s deposition testimony inadmissible as to our client. Without such testimony, client’s liability was non-existent.
- Obtained trial verdict in favor of industrial gasket and packing manufacturer on claims brought by former Navy serviceman that his mesothelioma was caused by client’s asbestos-containing products. Successfully convinced jury that client’s products were not used by serviceman and that any exposure to client’s asbestos fibers was too low to cause disease.