Courtney Devon Taylor is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department and vice-chair of the Securities Litigation Practice Group.
Ms. Taylor has tried to verdict a variety of cases. Her practice concentrates on representing financial institutions in federal and state courts throughout the United States. She also represents broker-dealers before FINRA.
Ms. Taylor previously practiced for seven years in the litigation department of an international law firm. There, she successfully represented multinational financial institutions, issuers and Fortune 100 companies in commercial litigation and securities matters.
News & Publications
- Schnader Elevates Courtney Devon Taylor to Partner
- What Is More Important for Pitching Business – Preparation or Relationships?
- Courtney Devon Taylor Receives Philadelphia Business Journal’s 2017 Woman of Distinction Award
- Schnader Announces New Leadership Roles
- Schnader Welcomes Courtney Devon Taylor
Community & Pro Bono
- Friends Academy Alumni Association Board, Member (2013-2019)
- Directions for Our Youth, Inc., Board of Directors, Chairman (2014-2018)
- 2018 Bizwomen Mentoring Event, Mentor and Coach
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2008
- Wesleyan University, B.A., Government, 2005
- New York
- New Jersey
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- District of New Jersey
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- SIFMA Compliance & Legal Society
- University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court
- The Forum of Executive Women
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Kessler-Eidson Trial Techniques Scholar
American Law Institute – American Bar Association Scholarship and Leadership Award
Recipient of “Women of Distinction Award” from the Philadelphia Business Journal, 2017*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- FINRA Fraud Trial: Defended corporation and officers against claims of fraud and unsuitability during two week trial.
- Close Corporation Shareholder Dispute: Defended company and president / shareholder in derivative action alleging improper governance, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of assets, and looting.
- Hedge Fund Preferred Shareholder Dispute: Helped preferred shareholder bring—and win—breach of share purchase agreement claims centering around the definition of “securities” under federal and Delaware law.
- Fallout from $3.6 Billion Merger: Defended executive and board member against securities class action by investors claiming—among other things—the deal undervalued the target company.
- 32.5% Drop in Stock Price: Defended foreign energy company against securities class action with allegations of improper accounting, misrepresentation, and inflation of earnings.
- Reduced Regulatory Fine of Multinational Financial Institution: Negotiated with FINRA regarding allegations of trading ahead of customer limit and market orders. Identified discrepancies in FINRA’s analysis that helped secure significantly lower fine.
- Employment Discrimination Trial: Successfully defended employer claims of ADA and FMLA violations brought by employee.
- Four-Day, Federal Jury Trial: Sole counsel and court-appointed attorney on civil rights litigation on behalf of a prisoner.
- “What is More Important for Pitching Business – Preparation or Relationships?”, The Legal Intelligencer, 2018
- Alicia J. Batts, John R. Ingrassia & Courtney Devon Taylor, “United States,” The Year in Review: An Annual Survey of International Legal Developments and Publications of the ABA/Section of International Law, 2013
- Ronald Wood, Travis Brennan & Courtney Devon Taylor, “Post-Madoff SEC Reforms: Implications for Hedge Funds,” 43 Rev. of Securities and Commodities Reg. 67, 2010
- Matthew Queler & Courtney Devon Taylor, “More Fines, Bigger Fines,” International Finance Law Review, April 2009
- Panelist, “Managing the Docket: Determining What Litigation Matters to Send Outside Counsel and What to Keep In-house,” Litigation Law Full-day CLE Institute of the Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Association of Corporate Counsel, October 2019.
- Panelist, “CLEO Connections/Pipeline,” Council on Legal Educational Opportunity, March 2014.
- Moderator, “A Conversation with Harold Ford Jr. and Teri McClure,” Proskauer, February 2014.
- Panelist, “Networking is Key: Tips to Developing Relationships that Can Advance Your Career,” Alumnae and Women of Emory, April 2012.