Cindy Murray is a partner in the Litigation Services Department, co-chair of the firm’s Construction Industry Practice Group, and chair of the firm’s Associates Professional Development Committee. She concentrates her practice in complex commercial litigation, primarily in the areas of construction, real estate, and financial services industries.
Ms. Murray has extensive experience in leading complex litigation involving major projects and litigates multi-million-dollar, cross-border disputes. Her practice also includes counseling and advising clients on breach of contract, business torts, employment, and bankruptcy issues. She skillfully guides her clients through all stages of litigation and has appeared in federal, bankruptcy, and state courts at the trial and appellate levels, and in arbitration and mediation proceedings.
News & Publications
- Cynthia Murray Honored by West Side YMCA
- Recent New York Decision Reaffirms Limits to Surety’s Liability on a Delay Claim Made Under a Payment Bond
- Resolving Legal Disputes in the United States: Litigation, Arbitration or Mediation
- Schnader Names Two New Partners
- Recent Decisions Provide Guidance with Respect to the Application and Scope of Anti-Retaliation Provision of Dodd-Frank
- Schnader Attorneys Achieve Significant Victory for Surety Client Federal Insurance Company
- Schnader Welcomes New Associates
Community & Pro Bono
- Ms. Murray volunteers in her community and is actively involved in the West Side YMCA (“WSY”), whose mission is to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. She has been involved with the WSY for over 10 years and is a former Chair of the WSY’s Board of Managers. She is also involved as a mentor for high school students that participate in the WSY’s Teen Career Connection program, an internship program that prepares students for the workplace by offering professional development and hands-on learning experiences during the summer.
- Ms. Murray also spent over three years on a pro bono representation of a citizen of Cameroon seeking political asylum in the U.S. In addition to obtaining a grant of asylum for the client, she successfully petitioned for and obtained immigrant visas for the client’s wife and two children.
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.
- New York, 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- American Bar Association, member
- New York State Bar Association, member
- Professional Women in Construction – New York Chapter, member; Professional Development Advisory Council, member
- St. John’s Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- Represented a non-profit organization in declaratory judgement action filed in state court in connection with fees for services. Secured denial of plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunctive relief seeking to enjoin payment of multi-million-dollar invoices for fees and issuance of further invoices.
- Represented individual members of LLC in lawsuit filed in state court asserting claims for tortious interference. Won dismissal of lawsuit on grounds of lack of personal jurisdiction and failure to state a cause of action.
- Represented national retailer in litigation with landlord relating to commercial lease. Filed complaint seeking a declaratory judgment that landlord was not entitled to accelerated rent. Negotiated favorable settlement for client.
- Represented national real estate finance company in multi-million-dollar litigation involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties and fraud in federal court in connection with the financing and development of a low-income senior housing project. Reached a favorable settlement for client after cross-motions for summary judgment.
- Represented airline in litigation in federal court with former employee alleging age and gender discrimination under the ADEA, Title VII, NYSHRL, and NYCHRL. Reached a favorable settlement for client.
- Represented underground utilities company in litigation in federal court relating to misappropriation of trade secrets and patent infringement of innovative techniques used in wind and solar industries. Obtained preliminary injunction enjoining former employee and competitor from manufacturing, selling or using client’s patented technologies, trade secrets and proprietary information. Ultimately obtained a permanent injunction and other relief.
- Represented premium Italian coffee brand in dispute involving breach of exclusive distribution agreement. Reached a favorable settlement for client.
- Represented construction manager in an arbitration seeking contract balance owed in connection with multi-million-dollar renovation of Michelin star restaurant. Obtained $1.3 million judgement for client after court granted motion to confirm arbitration award.
- Represented owner / operator of energy-from-waste and power generation projects in an arbitration initiated by general contractor claiming damages of approximately $100 million dollars for extra work and delay and inefficiency claims in connection with the construction of industrial facility in Canada. Arbitration governed by the under the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law Arbitration Rules. Served as second chair at 33-week arbitration conducted over the course of 18 months.
- Represented private university in the drafting and negotiation of AIA contracts with construction managers and architects for campus construction project.
- Represented general contractor seeking damages for delay and lost productivity arising from a $35 million contract for renovation and new construction of a major regional healthcare facility located in New York City. Reached a favorable settlement despite a “no-damages-for-delay” clause in contract.
- Represented curtain wall contractor in litigation relating to breach of contract, account stated and mechanic’s lien against well-known developer of high-rise mixed-use buildings in New York City. Obtained summary judgment and multi-million-dollar judgment for client.
- Represented specialty steel subcontractor in New York State court on claims for contract balance, delay and disputed work against general contractor and its surety in connection with renovation of art museum located in Queens, NY. Defeated plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment and reached settlement before trial.
- Represented surety in a material supplier’s claim under construction payment bonds in an action arising from two major construction projects in New York City. Served as second chair at jury trial in state court and obtained a defense verdict.
- Represented a surety in both affirmative and defensive claims in a case in federal court relating to a performance bond issued for the construction and rehabilitation of a major cruise ship terminal in New York City. Obtained summary judgment and a multi-million-dollar settlement in favor of client.
- Represented luxury retailer in pre-litigation disputes relating to construction and renovation of retail stores.