David Struwe is a litigation associate who concentrates his practice on aviation matters, criminal defense, internal investigations, insurance services, commercial real estate disputes, and financial services.
David has experience drafting pleadings, briefs, and other court documents in both state and federal court, as well as appearing in court on behalf of firm clients. David has first chair litigation experience in commercial lease disputes and has experience deposing adverse witnesses and defending depositions.
In aviation matters, David has assisted in the representation of helicopter manufacturers in multi-million dollar contractual disputes and in wrongful death suits. In his internal investigation practice, David has assisted universities and religious institutions conduct investigations into allegations of sexual impropriety. David’s insurance services’ work includes representing insurance companies in coverage disputes and assisting in the defense of a mortgage insurance company in its multi-million dollar dispute. David has successfully litigated a variety of commercial real estate disputes and has also successfully assisted a partner of a limited partnership obtain a fair buy-out and avoid litigation.
Prior to joining Schnader, Mr. Struwe served as a Captain in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where his roles included Prosecutor and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney and Special Victim Prosecutor. He was first chair at more than 20 bench and jury trials and administrative separation hearings in the U.S. and abroad, handling cases concerning felony level courts-martial, fraud claims, sexual assault charges, and regulatory investigations. Mr. Struwe also advised commanders on military justice and rules of engagement while deployed in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
While in law school, David served as a Judicial Honors Program Clerk for the Honorable Marjorie Rendell of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
David is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
News & Publications
- Aviation Happenings: Fall 2020
- Aviation Happenings: Summer 2020
- The Legal Intelligencer Names David Struwe a 2020 “Lawyer on the Fast Track”
- Immunity, Preemption of State Laws, and the Exercise of Federal Power in National Emergencies
- Aviation Happenings: Spring 2020
- Young Lawyers Q&A: What To Do About a Noisy Office Neighbor, Recruiters, or an Offensive Client
- Aviation Happenings – Winter 2019
- For Young Lawyers – “Three Challenges Faced by Newly Hired Law School Graduates”
- Aviation Happenings – Fall 2019
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Weighs in on Politics in the Office, Billable Hours Shortfall, and Family Leave”
- Aviation Happenings – Summer 2019
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Weighs In on Losing Interest, Refusing Work, and Opposing Counsel Clashes”
- Aviation Happenings – Spring 2019
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Weighs In on Partner Clashes, Networking and Gift-Giving Grievances”
- Aviation Happenings – Winter 2018
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Tackles Quality Work, Courtroom Experience and Drinking at Business Meals”
- Aviation Happenings- Summer 2018
- For Young Lawyers – “First Up: Choosing a Mentor, Pitching New Business and a Little Coffee Talk”
- Aviation Happenings- Spring 2018
- Schnader Welcomes Six Associates to its New York, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh Offices
- Muddying the Waters of the Clean Water Act: Applying Chevron Deference to the CWA Pollutant Permit Regulatory Scheme
Community & Pro Bono
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Volunteer Big Brother, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
- Successfully litigated prisoner abuse cases and also represented immigrants in both immigration and criminal proceedings.
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., International Politics, with Highest Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 2008
- Pennsylvania, 2011
- New Jersey, 2011
- New York, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
- Temple Law Alumni Association, Member
- Federalist Society, Member
- West Point Society of Philadelphia, Member
- Named as a 2020 “Lawyer on the Fast Track” by The Legal Intelligencer*
- Research Article Editor, Temple Journal of Science, Technology and Environmental Law, Temple University Beasley School of Law
- Law school awards include: Technical Advisory Service for Attorneys Prize for Outstanding Performance in Field of Evidence, Nat N. Wolfsohn Memorial Award in Real Property, Integrated Trial Advocacy Award, and Barrister Award
- Phi Beta Kappa, member
- Served as Judicial Honors Program Clerk for the Honorable Marjorie Rendell of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom
- 2008 George Catlett Marshall Reserve Officers’ Training Corps Award presented by the George C. Marshall Foundation
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
Broad-based experience in complex commercial and product liability matters in both state and federal courts. Prior experience as an Army prosecutor. Substantive areas include fiduciary duty, contract, and disputes arising from corporate transactions. Drafted pleadings and briefs, including complaints and motions for summary judgment. Propounded and responded to discovery requests. Conducted fact and expert witness interviews. Extensive client contact. Representative matters include the following:
- Persuaded trial court to strike lis pendens, confess error, reverse its grant of summary judgment, and enter a declaratory judgment that community bank client attempting to sell commercial property was entitled to retain entire six-figure deposit, despite agreement of sale allowing buyer “sole discretion” to cancel transaction; demonstrated in discovery that buyer violated implied duty of good faith and fair dealing by fabricating documentation allegedly justifying termination of deal.
- Analyzed complicated choice of law issue in federal court arising from helicopter crash on military installation. Drafted motion for summary judgment on issue of punitive damages given the underlying choice of law analysis.
- Assisted in the preparation and filing of 28 USC § 1782 applications in order to obtain discovery from banking and financial organizations for use in proceedings before foreign tribunals.
- Advised two members on the board of directors of a Fortune 500 company, who were also minority shareholders. Advised on the fiduciary duties of board members and controlling shareholders when confronted with a proxy battle.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in breach of a commercial lease.
- Assisted in the multi-million dollar contractual litigation between two aviation companies over the production and delivery of helicopters.
- Volunteered for pro bono work and represented prisoners and asylum seekers.
- Assisted in litigation regarding millions of dollars’ worth of mortgage insurance claims in the aftermath of the housing collapse.
- Assisted in the appeal of a denial of a Pennsylvania medical marijuana clinical registration application.
- Assisted in internal investigations of universities and religious institutions.