Ellen Kueny is an associate in the firm’s Litigation Services Department. She focuses her practice on personal injury, products liability, insurance defense, breach of contract, breach of warranty litigation, financial services litigation, as well as appeals.
Ms. Kueny represents manufacturers, retailers, insurance companies and financial institutions. She has extensive experience defending lemon law, breach of warranty, and consumer fraud claims against automobile manufacturers, as well as products liability cases involving alleged defects in manufacture and design, and failure to warn claims against automotive and equipment manufacturers. She also has defended manufacturers and suppliers in asbestos litigation. She has extensive experience in all phases of personal injury litigation.
In addition, she has significant experience in insurance-coverage issues, including drafting and filing various declaratory judgment actions, and providing opinions to carriers regarding potential bad-faith allegations. She has provided coverage opinions regarding a wide variety of matters, including interpretations of policy terms, indemnification provisions of contracts between contractors and sub-contractors, and duties to provide notice of cancellation of policy or loss of coverage to additional insured or loss payees. Ms. Kueny also has significant experience in appellate matters. She obtained two favorable opinions from the Delaware Supreme Court on behalf of automotive manufacturers, a favorable opinion from the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a major retailer, and has appeared before the Pennsylvania Superior and Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Ms. Kueny’s practice includes representation of a major national retailer in premises liability and other litigation matters, as well as financing companies in breach of contract and consumer fraud disputes, and railroads in the defense of claims under the Federal Employers Liability Act.
Community & Pro Bono
- Ms. Kueny has served as the liaison member of the Finance Committee and Pastoral Council of St. Vincent de Paul Church, in Richboro, Pennsylvania. She and her husband were selected and served as chairs of the 2012 PREP Fund, the major fundraising effort of St. Joseph’s Prep, a Jesuit high school in North Philadelphia. She has served as a board member of the Home and School Association of St. Bede the Venerable School in Holland, Pennsylvania. Ms. Kueny is also a member and supporter of the Drueding Center, an organization in Philadelphia which provides transitional housing and comprehensive support services to homeless women and their children.
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- St. Louis University Law Journal, Editorial Board
- Significant experience defending and arbitrating lemon law, breach of warranty, and consumer fraud claims against automobile manufacturers.
- Obtained two favorable opinions from the Delaware Supreme Court on behalf of automotive manufacturers on statute of limitations and damages issues in cases alleging lemon law and consumer fraud claims.
- Defended automotive and equipment manufacturers in products liability cases involving alleged defects in manufacture, design, and failure to warn claims.
- Defended major national retailer and various financial institutions in premises liability litigation and other litigation matters.
- Represented financing companies in breach of contract, replevin, and consumer fraud disputes.
- Defended large international corporation against multimillion dollar breach of contract claim.
- Defended manufacturers and suppliers in asbestos litigation.
- Filed various declaratory judgment actions and provided opinions to carriers regarding potential bad-faith allegations.
- Provided legal analysis and opinions in a wide variety of contract matters including franchise agreements, indemnification agreements, insurance policies, and construction, engineering, and design professional liability policies in order to determine coverage and legal obligations for defense costs, attorney’s fees, and settlement proceeds, and duties to provide coverage to additional insured or loss payees.
- Assisted in the defense of railroad cases involving claims by injured railroad workers under the Federal Employers Liability Act.