Erica Howard-Potter is a partner in the firm’s Tax and Wealth Management Department. She focuses her practice on estate planning and administration, charitable giving, trust and estate litigation, business succession planning and taxation.
Ms. Howard-Potter develops, structures, drafts and implements all aspects of estate plans and administers complex estates. She also handles all aspects of the gift planning process, including forming entities, drafting trusts, obtaining and reviewing appraisals, coordinating discount valuations and preparing and filing gift tax returns.
Ms. Howard-Potter’s work also includes advising clients regarding offshore reporting obligations and IRS amnesty programs and representing clients in audits and other disputes with the IRS. In addition, she assists in the litigation of trusts and estates matters, including objections to probate and fiduciary accountings and Will construction proceedings.
News & Publications
- Celebrity Estate Planning: Misfires of the Rich and Famous V
- New York Super Lawyers Named
- Proposed Changes to Federal Tax Code Affecting Tax and Wealth Management Clients
- The New Corporate Transparency Act: Tax and Wealth Management Considerations for Owners of Closely Held Corporations, LLCs, Partnerships and Other Entities and Creators, Trustees and Beneficiaries of Trusts
- Changes to New York Power of Attorney Law Should Simplify Form and Streamline Acceptance by Financial Institutions
- Schnader Welcomes Partners Paul Van Horn and Erica Howard-Potter to Tax and Wealth Management Department
- ABA Tax Section Comments to IRS Regarding Proposed Regulations Under Section 2704 of the Internal Revenue Code
- Beyond Our Conception: A Look at Children Born Posthumously Through Reproductive Technology and New York Intestacy Law
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2007
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., cum laude, Estate Planning Concentration with honors, 2006
- Union College, B.A. in English with departmental honors, 1997
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, and Tax Sections, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section, Member
- New York City Bar Association, Estate and Gift Tax Committee Member
- Named among “NY Super Lawyers Rising Stars,” 2014-2017*
- Executive Editor, Albany Law School Journal of Science and Technology
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.