Ms. Barnum, Co-Chair of the Firm’s Construction Industry Practice Group, is a trial lawyer with more than 30 years of experience representing developers, business owners, landlords, lenders, and municipalities in a wide variety of business, commercial, premises and product liability defense, and creditors’ rights litigation. Ms. Barnum has an active dispute resolution practice and she also counsels clients on shifting risk and litigation prevention. She also serves as the Chair of the Vision & Leadership Subcommittee of the firm’s Diversity Committee.
News & Publications
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Schnader Attorneys Receive Recognition for Pro Bono Efforts
- 2017 Harrison Awards for Pro Bono and Community Service
- Jeanne Barnum Teaches Citizenship Classes
- USSC Decision Suggests Any State Rule Requiring Clear and Ambiguous Waiver of Jury Trial in Arbitration Provision May Be Pre-empted by the FAA
- Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2017
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- NJ State Court Authorizes Facebook as an Alternate Means of Service
- Proposed New Jersey Law Takes Aim at Mandatory Arbitration
- Many Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2016
- New Jersey Appellate Division Rules Specific Searches not Required Before Resorting to Service by Mail
- “A Litigator’s Guide to Arbitration”
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2015
- Schnader Recognized with Golden Door Award
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2014
- Four South Jersey Partners Recognized as “Best Attorneys in Business”
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2013
- Schnader’s Jeanne Schubert Barnum Appointed Co-Vice Chair of the American Bar Association’s Construction Litigation Committee
- Jeanne Barnum Outlines Revisions to Green Marketing Guides from the Federal Trade Commission
- “Revisions to the Federal Trade Commission Green Marketing Guidelines”
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2012
- “Green Building: Limitations Clock Starts at First Sign of Trouble”
- Jeanne Barnum Selected to Participate in the ABA’s 2012 Advanced Planning Leadership Program
- Supreme Court Holds Federal Courts Do Not Have Jurisdiction to Hear Federal Common Law Nuisance Claims Relating to Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Schnader Attorneys Named New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Four Schnader Attorneys Honored as New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Stars
- Issues and Trends in New Jersey Law
Community & Pro Bono
- Cherry Hill Township Environmental Board, Vice Chair
- First Presbyterian Church of Somerdale, Somerdale, NJ: Elder, 2003-2006, 2018-present; Nominating Committee, 2010-2018
- Support Center for Child Advocates/HIAS: pro bono representation of juvenile immigrants in court and before USCIS on their path to permanent residency.
- Temple University Center for Social Policy – Teach Citizenship Classes, 2017-present
- Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University, J.D., 1975
- Wilson College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1972
- New Jersey, 1976
- Pennsylvania, 1975
- Federal Court for the District of New Jersey
- Federal Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare, Office of the General Counsel (Summer)
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation’s Construction Litigation Committee, Co-Chair of the Committee, 2016-present; Co-Vice Chair of Construction Litigation Committee, 2013-2016; Chair of Green Building and Renewable Energy Sub-Committee, 2011-2013; Co-Chair of the Membership Subcommittee, 2008-2011
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, member of Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee
- National Association of Women Lawyers, Board member 1987-1993; President 1990-1991
- New Jersey Bar Association, member; Construction Law Committee
- New Jersey Bar Association, member; Renewable Energy, Cleantech and Climate Change Committee
- National Association of Women in Construction, Region 1 member
- Forum of Executive Women, Board of Directors and Chair of Program Committee, 2018 – present; Vice Chair of Program Committee, 2016-2018
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- Recipient of the Earl G. Harrison Pro Bono Award, 2017
- Recognized as “Outstanding Subcommittee Chair” for the American Bar Association, Section of Litigation’s Construction Litigation Committee, 2010-2011
- Noted as “New Jersey’s Women Leaders in the Law,” 2012*
- Named a “New Jersey Super Lawyer” for construction litigation, 2006-2007 and 2012-2017*
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Davison-Foreman Fellowship
- Listed in The Best Lawyers of America for Litigation-Construction, 2018-2019*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Ms. Barnum is on the Roster of Arbitrators and the Roster of Mediators of the American Arbitration Association.
- Ms. Barnum is on the Roster of Mediators for the New Jersey State Court and is an Arbitrator for the Federal District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Ms. Barnum has represented parties in American Arbitration Association, Home Owner Warranty, private, and court-ordered mediations and arbitrations for more than 20 years.
- Ms. Barnum serves as an arbitrator involving construction, product liability, contract, tort and warranty claims with businesses, insurers, government entities and individuals as parties.
- Ms. Barnum has mediated construction, commercial, product liability, tort, insurance, contractual, environmental and municipal disputes.
Construction Industry Litigation
- Ms. Barnum has represented a national homebuilder in a variety of contract, tort, and warranty actions in court, before the American Arbitration Association, and in private dispute resolution settings.
- Ms. Barnum has represented a developer with respect to its rights and responsibilities under the New Jersey Planned Real Estate Full Disclosure Act, especially with respect to active adult communities.
- Ms. Barnum successfully defended a developer in an appeal by a group of homeowners seeking class certification and nullification of an arbitration provision in a new home sales agreement.
- On behalf of a national commercial mortgage corporation, Ms. Barnum brought a multimillion-dollar foreclosure action against a privately owned care center in New Jersey and a companion fraudulent transfer action against the shareholders of the corporation that owned the center.
- Ms. Barnum represented three of six executors/trustees of a $20 million estate in successful action to fulfill the terms of the testator’s will in the face of opposition mounted by a corporate trustee.
- On behalf of a federally chartered savings and loan association, Ms. Barnum foreclosed on an apartment building and had a receiver appointed in state court, sued the guarantor in federal court, and negotiated a deed in lieu and subsequent sale of the real property.
- Ms. Barnum has successfully defended potentially responsible municipal and private parties in environmental landfill cleanup actions brought by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and clients faced with Environmental Rights Act claims.
- SCOTUS Swings the Pendulum Back in Favor of Arbitration
- Jeanne Barnum Moderated ABA Webinar on Drafting Arbitration Clauses
- Jeanne Barnum Presented on Construction Fraud
- Jeanne Barnum Moderated a Panel on Women in Construction
- Schnader Partners Spoke at Construction Super Conference
- Paint and Dine with the Forum
- John Armstrong Memorial Golf Classic
- Jeanne Barnum Spoke on Arbitration at ABA Conference
- Leveraging LinkedIn
- Schnader Attorneys Speak at Construction SuperConference 2014
- LEED Litigation and Construction Concerns at the New Jersey State Bar Association Renewable Energy Cleantech & Climate Change Meeting – When Clean Energy Meets the Court Room
- Schnader’s New Jersey Office Hosted Fall Networking Event
- Schnader’s Jeanne Barnum Presents at the 3rd Annual Green Buildings Summit 2011
- Bankruptcy Implications in the New Economy, New Jersey Association of Corporate Counsel
- Webinar: Litigation Fundamentals – Motion Practice, American Bar Association