Jo Bennett, co-chair of the Labor and Employment Practices Group, advises employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including compliance and strategies for avoiding litigation. She represents organizations in administrative and court proceedings involving state and federal anti-discrimination statutes, wage-and-hour disputes, restrictive covenants, the National Labor Relations Act, and compliance audits. Her clients span a range of industries, including manufacturing, financial and insurance services, life sciences, and higher education.
In her counseling and consulting practice, Ms. Bennett is a sounding board and advisor to Chief Human Resources Officers in devising strategic and functional initiatives. She also works with small businesses that lack in-house Human Resources expertise to provide steady, cost-conscious and practical advice in solving workplace issues.
Ms. Bennett also advises companies on equal employment opportunity/affirmative action obligations under federal and state laws and regulations. In this role, Ms. Bennett advises companies on HR best practices in recruiting, interviewing and hiring procedures; compensation practices; development of policies and procedures; and discrimination testing. She assists clients in the preparation, management, and defense of affirmative action programs and represents clients in U.S. Department of Labor/OFCCP compliance audits.
News & Publications
- Bostock v. Clayton County: Supreme Court Protects Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in the Workplace
- New EEOC Guidance for Returning to Work in a Covid-19 World – Accommodating “At-Risk” Employees
- Construction Workers’ Return and COVID-19
- How Can Pennsylvania Employers Comply with State Health Orders in Light of the EEOC’s Updated COVID-19 Guidance?
- The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) – What Employers and Workers Need to Know
- Pennsylvania Delays (Until March 23) Enforcement of Order Closing Non-Life-Sustaining Businesses
- 3 Hiring Hurdles Posed By Philly Salary History Ban
- Pennsylvania Justices’ Ruling Highlights Federal, State Wage Law Divide
- U.S. Department of Labor Announces New Overtime Pay Rule with January 1 Effective Date
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Does sports betting put student athletes at risk?
- Sports Betting and the Impact on Colleges and Universities
- Trump Administration Appeals District Court Order on Pay Data
- Employers Must Submit 2017 and 2018 Pay Data to EEOC by September 30
- Is Your Business One of the 3,500 Scheduled by DOL for an Affirmative Action Program Audit in 2019?
- Benchmark Litigation Recommends Schnader
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- NJ Enacts Equal Pay Law
- NJ Set to Pass Sick Leave Law
- Sixth Circuit Decision: Title VII Protects Transgender Workers
- 2nd Cir Rules Sexual Orientation Discrimination Covered Under Title VII
- 3d Circuit Clarifies Standard in FCA Retaliation Cases
- Jo Bennett and Samantha Banks Analyze Landmark Labor Case on Resolving Disputes through Arbitration
- Schnader Advises Valley Pool Sales Regarding Acquisition by Large National Pool Retailer
- New Tax Law Quashes Deduction for Some Sexual Harassment Settlements
- A Review Of Key Sexual Harassment Legal Issues For Businesses
- SCOTUS Declines to Hear Sexual Orientation Discrimination Case
- When should a business consider terminating an employee accused of sexual harassment?
- PA Bill Would Ban Nondisclosure Agreements for Sexual Misconduct
- Crucial Labor and Employment Issues on the Line in Landmark U.S. Supreme Court Case
- BREAKING: Pay Data Rules Placed on Hold for EEO-1 Form
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- DOL Requests Feedback on Overtime Rule
- Jo Bennett Quoted in Business Insurance Magazine
- 3rd Circuit Clarifies Standard in Workplace Harassment Cases
- Jo Bennett Named Labor and Employment Group Co-Chair
- Jo Bennett Receives Diversity Award
- EEOC Settles First Sexual Orientation Discrimination Suit
- Medical Marijuana is Coming to PA: Are you Ready?
- OFCCP Issues Revised Sex Discrimination Rules
- Department of Labor Issues Final Rule on Pay – Substantially Raising Minimum Salary Threshold to Qualify for Overtime Exemption
- Supreme Court Hands Labor Unions a Reprieve
- Schnader Welcomes Back Labor and Employment Partner Jo Bennett
Community & Pro Bono
- Arcadia University – Board of Trustees, 2007-2016; Executive Committee, 2012-2016; Audit Committee, 2010-2016; Governance Committee, 2013-2016
- American Association for Affirmative Action, Board of Directors, 2009-2012
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Western Kentucky University, B.A., summa cum laude
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Fourth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Forum of Executive Women
- Liberty Industry Liaison Group
- Recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” and “Labor & Employment Star- Northeast” for Pennsylvania in Benchmark Litigation, 2019*
- Listed in The Best Lawyers of America for Employment Law – Management, 2018-2019*
- Recognition by the National Diversity Council as a Most Powerful & Influential Woman, 2016*
- President’s Award for Leadership & Service, 2016, American Association for Access, Equity, and Diversity
- President’s Award for Leadership & Service, 2012, American Association for Affirmative Action
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- Served as lead counsel for a Fortune 10 company in wage-and-hour collective and class action litigation, resulting in a court order vastly reducing the size of the collective and a stipulation dismissing the class allegations.
- As lead trial counsel, obtained directed verdict for public school system on reasonable accommodation claim under Americans With Disabilities Act and termination claim under Family and Medical Leave Act.
- As lead trial counsel, obtained defense verdict for public school system on ADA retaliation claim.
- Served as lead trial counsel for a national franchise owner-operator in Title VII gender harassment case, resulting in successful post-trial motion granting judgment in favor of defendant.
- Obtained summary judgment in religious discrimination case for nonprofit human services provider.
- Served as lead counsel for regional transportation authority in a series of wage-and-hour collective actions.
- Obtained defense verdict for regional transportation authority in lawsuit alleging race discrimination and retaliation.
- Advanced Employment Law: What You Need to Know
- Employment Law: 2019 Comprehensive Guide
- The Recruiting Team’s Role In Affirmative Action Compliance
- Jo Bennett Spoke at Women’s Leadership Symposium
- Bennett Speaks at Diversity and Leadership Conference
- The Election is Over: Now What?
- New Developments in Labor & Employment Law for Colleges and Universities
- Jo Bennett and Anne Kane Spoke at Employment Law Seminar
- Medical Marijuana and the Impact on Your Business
- 2016 EEO1 Reporting Requirements