Mr. Skowron is a partner in the Litigation Services Department and chair of the Communications and Media Industry Group. He has significant experience in professional liability, product liability, insurance, business tort and contractual litigation, as well as media cases. Mr. Skowron has represented clients on a variety of matters and is also active in pro bono work at Schnader, including prisoners’ rights cases, First Amendment litigation, immigration matters, and even criminal defense.
News & Publications
- Jonathan Skowron Named Publications Chair of DRI’s Pretrial Practice and Procedure Specialized Litigation Group
- Young Lawyers Q&A: What To Do About a Noisy Office Neighbor, Recruiters, or an Offensive Client
- Practical Digital Security Tips for Young Lawyers
- For Young Lawyers – “Three Challenges Faced by Newly Hired Law School Graduates”
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Weighs in on Politics in the Office, Billable Hours Shortfall, and Family Leave”
- Aviation Happenings – Summer 2019
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Weighs In on Losing Interest, Refusing Work, and Opposing Counsel Clashes”
- Schnader Lawyers Named to PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Weighs In on Partner Clashes, Networking and Gift-Giving Grievances”
- Dissent In Sikkelee Ruling Offers Preemption Road Map
- Opposing Counsel CC’d Her Client; May I “Reply All”?
- For Young Lawyers – “Panel Tackles Quality Work, Courtroom Experience and Drinking at Business Meals”
- Edward Sholinsky and Jonathan Skowron Published “Viewpoint” Case Analysis in Pittsburgh Business Times
- For Young Lawyers – “First Up: Choosing a Mentor, Pitching New Business and a Little Coffee Talk”
- All companies registered to do business in Pennsylvania are subject to the courts’ general jurisdiction
- Jonathan Skowron Published “Protect Yourself: Limiting Your Potential Liability with a Solid Engagement Letter”
- Jonathan Skowron and Stephanie Short Featured in Article in Lawyers Journal about CLE Program
- “Planning Your First (or Fiftieth) Expert Challenge from Depositions through Trial”
- “Building a Professional Network as a Young Lawyer”
- Schnader Receives Pennsylvania Youth Court Champion Award
- Pittsburgh Attorneys Lead Constitution and Youth Court Projects at Local Charter School
- Schnader Attorneys Obtain Dismissal of Defamation Lawsuit Against Pennsylvania News Website
Community & Pro Bono
Mr. Skowron has a very active pro bono practice and has represented clients on a variety of matters:
- Successfully obtained asylum for a young man fleeing gang violence in Central America.
- Represented a wrongfully accused young woman fighting unwarranted criminal charges in partnership with the Pennsylvania Innocence Project.
- Successfully represented a tenant through arbitration fighting illegal charges by her landlord.
- Successfully argued for dismissal of a defamation and false light lawsuit brought against a local online newspaper in partnership with the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- Represented a prisoner in a civil rights case in federal court.
Mr. Skowron also serves in a leadership role in the following community organizations:
- Board Member of the Thrive Advisory Board to Literacy Pittsburgh
- Board Member of St. Nicholas Orthodox Church in McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
- Member of the Mt. Lebanon Library Development Committee
- Member of the Pittsburgh Legal Diversity & Inclusion Coalition Community Building Committee
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2009
- University of Oxford, M.St., with distinction, 2006
- Georgetown University, B.S., magna cum laude, 2005
- District of Columbia, 2010
- Pennsylvania, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- DRI’s Commercial Litigation Committee, Publications Chair – Pretrial Practice and Procedure SLG
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section Council
- University of Pittsburgh Law Review, Executive Editor
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by the editors of Super Lawyers, 2019
Mr. Skowron has experience in all phases of litigation through and including trial, and has represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including financial institutions, private equity firms, insurance companies, healthcare providers, engineering firms, media companies, and industrial manufacturers. Some of Mr. Skowron’s representative matters include:
- Represented a private equity firm through trial with regard to alleged breaches of representations and warranties in a merger agreement governing the acquisition of a local company.
- Represented an engineering firm with regard to a multimillion-dollar claim of professional negligence.
- Successfully argued for dismissal of a defamation and false light lawsuit brought against a local online newspaper.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a large waste disposal and collection provider in a dispute with a competitor regarding the validity of certain municipal contracts.
- Represented a newspaper in a statutory appeal regarding a Pennsylvania Right-to-Know Law request and obtained a court order requiring disclosure of the requested records.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a television broadcaster with regard to a dispute about its leasing of transponder space on a satellite.
- Represented a partnership that was the victim of criminal fraud and legal malpractice, which resulted in a multimillion-dollar settlement.
- Represented a banking institution in a multimillion-dollar professional liability coverage dispute.
- Represented lenders with respect to several commercial foreclosures.
- Represented various industrial manufacturers in ongoing asbestos litigation across the country.
- Successfully defended an out-of-state construction vehicle vendor in a contractual dispute both at the lower court and on appeal which resulted in dismissal of all claims.
- Represented a large insurance company in complex antitrust class action litigation that resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Jonathan Skowron Moderated a Mediation CLE on Effective and Ethical Dispute Resolution
- Stephanie Short and Jonathan Skowron Spoke on Ethical Considerations and Practical Tips for a Paperless Office
- Karen Baillie and Jonathan Skowron spoke on ESI Preservation and Collection
- Jonathan Skowron Moderated CLE on Discovery Practices