Joseph E. Lundy has developed a stellar national reputation in matters involving exempt organizations. To this practice, he brings over 40 years of experience as a tax attorney and business advisor, focusing on exempt organizations. Mr. Lundy has hands-on experience in advising healthcare systems, universities, colleges, foundations and other nationally prominent charities throughout the country regarding IRS audits, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring, tax-exempt financing, unrelated business income, and physician practice arrangements as well as fundraising and general compliance matters.
Prior to joining Schnader, Mr. Lundy was a founding partner of Lundy Fleming LLP, a partnership devoted to the legal representation of nonprofit organizations, closely-held businesses and individuals. He was also a principal in the Washington, D.C., New York, and Philadelphia offices of the international accounting and consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP. Serving as a leader in the firm’s Washington National Tax Services healthcare, higher education, private foundation and other exempt organization tax practice, he was responsible for providing innovative and proactive solutions regarding tax laws and other regulatory matters applicable to exempt organizations. Mr. Lundy was also a partner of the Philadelphia-based law firm Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP.
News & Publications
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Schnader’s Nonprofit Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 USA
- Many Schnader Lawyers Named to PA Super Lawyers
- Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2017
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- Schnader’s Nonprofit Practice Recognized by The Legal 500 USA
- Joseph Lundy Named Nonprofit Group Co-Chair
- Thirty-Seven Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Lundy Quoted in “Visit Philadelphia could have recovered embezzled funds with insurance”
- Obtaining Relief from Penalties Related to IRS Form 1098-T Filing Deficiencies
- Schnader’s Nonprofit Organizations Group Recognized in The Legal 500
- Joseph Lundy and Noel Fleming Join Schnader
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, B.S.
American Bar Association Tax Section Exempt Organization Committee, Past Chair
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
Philadelphia Bar Association Tax Section, Past Chair
Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
Florida Bar Association, Member
American College of Tax Counsel, Fellow
Temple University School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Law
Taxation of Exempts, Co-editor-In-Chief
Philadelphia Tax Conference, Founder and Past Chair
Wharton School Tax Conference, Past Chair
Penn State Tax Conference, Past Chair
Faulkner & Gray Exempt Organizations Tax Conference, Past Chair
Washington Non-Profit Tax Conference, Special Advisor, 1985-1992
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Non-Profit/Charities Law, 2017-2019 and Tax Law, 2019