Joyce Sun is an associate in the Business Services Department, and a member of the Real Estate Practice Group. She represents a wide range of clients in acquiring, selling, leasing, and developing real estate. She also represents lenders in real estate financing, and property owners in contracting for construction, design, engineering, and other services relating to real estate.
Ms. Sun’s practice includes the drafting and negotiation of AIA contracts, as well as client-driven master agreements for construction and engineering. Ms. Sun has negotiated agreements of sale, leases, and other contracts for clients ranging from start-up businesses and nonprofits to multinational retailers. Her work includes representation of municipal authorities, governmental bodies, and industrial authorities in redevelopment projects.
News & Publications
- Schnader Attorneys Receive Recognition for Pro Bono Efforts
- Joyce Sun Named One of the 2017 “Lawyers on the Fast Track”
- Reprieve Granted to Philadelphia Tax-Exempt Property Owners
- Are You Ready for Philadelphia’s October 31, 2013 Building Benchmarking Deadline?
- The City of Philadelphia Passes Two Bills Affecting Taxes on Nonprofits
- Zoning Registration Now Easier for Philadelphia Community Organizations
- New Philadelphia Lobbying Law: Implications for Nonprofit Organizations
- Schnader Honored with Phila. VIP’s Chancellor’s Award
- Schnader Welcomes Eight New Attorneys
Community & Pro Bono
- Ms. Sun is a board member of the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation, a grassroots, non-profit, community-based organization that seeks to preserve, protect, and promote Philadelphia’s Chinatown. Ms. Sun is also the 2017-18 secretary of the Executive Committee of the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2007
- Yale University, B.A., philosophy, 2004
- Cantonese Chinese
- Pennsylvania, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Philadelphia Bar Association Real Estate Section, Executive Board Member, 2015-present
- Selected as one of Pennsylvania’s “Lawyers on the Fast Track” by The Legal Intelligencer, 2017
- Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Review, editor, 2005-2007
- Developed master construction agreement and engineering agreement for use by university in campus expansion and redevelopment campaign.
- Developed master construction agreement and engineering agreement for use by major chemical company in renovation program of its global headquarters.
- Advised multinational eyewear company on variety of U.S. leasing matters, including lease of new warehouse space in Colorado and build-out of retail space in New York City.
- Negotiated lease of 65,000 square feet of warehouse space on behalf of start-up business.
- Assisted battery company in sales of real estate to private individuals and governmental bodies.
- Represented municipal authority in acquisition of more than a dozen parcels from redevelopment authority, including addressing legal issues arising out of historical environmental contamination.
- Handled documentation and real estate closing arising out of settlement of trust litigation, including transfer of more than 400 acres of real estate and imposition of regime of rights of first purchase, reciprocal easements, and covenants.
- Resolved complex title issues on behalf of governmental body and redevelopment authority in connection with high-profile redevelopment of 1.2 million square feet of retail space located on three blocks in Center City Philadelphia.
- Represented industrial authority in connection with $55 million Tax Increment Financing project, which was the first in the municipality’s history to be supported by Neighborhood Improvement District assessments.
- Represented lender in secured real estate financing transactions, such as $2 million dollar loan secured by real estate located in the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philadelphia, PA.