Ken Puhala, Chairman of the Firm and a member of its Executive Committee, is a partner in the Litigation Services Department. He concentrates his practice in complex business litigation and arbitration, as well as litigation and transactions relating to cross-border debt restructurings. He has handled a broad range of matters, spanning contracts, trust indentures, technology, construction, professional liability, employment, securities, business torts, civil RICO, entertainment, and proceedings under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
Mr. Puhala has extensive experience representing foreign clients in cases involving complex cross-border debt restructurings. For many years, his practice has focused on representing Indonesian and Singaporean companies in litigation and transactions relating to such restructurings. He has represented Indonesian and Singaporean companies in federal and state courts in debt restructuring-related litigation and also in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Chapter 15 cases seeking recognition of foreign restructuring proceedings and the implementation of restructuring plans in the United States. Apart from his debt-restructuring practice, his practice is focused heavily on representing foreign and U.S. companies in litigation and arbitration proceedings in complex business disputes relating to contracts and business torts.
Mr. Puhala is the Firm’s chief liaison with Yang & Co, its associated firm in Indonesia.
News & Publications
- New York Super Lawyers Named
- New Bankruptcy Code Section Will Help Landlords and Suppliers and Their Tenants and Customers Affected by Covid-19
- New York Super Lawyers Named
- NY Super Lawyers Named
- Creditors’ Rights and Business Restructuring Group Wins Two International Awards
- Schnader Attorneys Named to NY Super Lawyers
- Kenneth Puhala Quoted in The Deal Pipeline
- Schnader Recognized with International Financial Law Review Award
- The “Separate Entity Rule” Remains Alive and Well in New York State
- Affirmative Business Litigation in the United States and in Other Countries
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2014
- Resolving Legal Disputes in the United States: Litigation, Arbitration or Mediation
- Partners Megan Harmon and Ken Puhala Named to Schnader’s Executive Committee
- Protecting Your US Business From Unfair Competition by Former Employees Requires Timely and Prudent Action
- Raising Capital Through IPO in the US
- Schnader and Yang & Co. Formalize Representation Arrangement for Indonesia Related Legal Matters
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2013
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2011
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2010
- Seven Schnader Attorneys Honored as 2009 New York Super Lawyers
- Pro Bono Newsletter
- George Washington University, J.D., with high honors, Order of the Coif, 1988
- Johns Hopkins University, B.A., 1985
- New York, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- The George Washington Law Review, member
International Litigation and Arbitration
- Represented Asian pulp and paper companies in multiple cases relating to those companies’ multibillion dollar debt restructuring.
- Represented UK financial institution in cases arising from competing claims to assets.
- Represented Chinese biopharmaceutical company in arbitration of dispute with private equity company.
- Represented foreign companies in arbitration relating to oil and gas mining project in Indonesia.
- Represented foreign companies in litigation and arbitration relating to Jordanian business venture.
Chapter 15 Proceedings
- Represented multiple Indonesian and Singaporean companies in proceedings under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in obtaining recognition of foreign proceedings and implementation of debt restructuring plans in the United States.
Financial Services Litigation
- Represented finance company in numerous cases involving aircraft, automobile and equipment financing transactions.
- Represented railroad company in multiple cases arising from damage to its property caused by an unlawful garbage disposal operation.
- Represented railroad company in case involving claims related to bridge over the Hudson River (New York).
Professional Liability Litigation
- Represented a state public employees’ retirement system in case arising out of loan transaction.
- Represented telecommunications company in litigation relating to Mexican telecommunications project and other disputed transactions.
Technology and Construction Litigation
- Represented technology company in dispute over website development project.
- Represented construction companies in multiple cases arising from large construction projects.