Lisa M. Brauner is a partner in the Litigation Services Department and a member of the Labor and Employment Group. She focuses her practice on labor and employment law.
Ms. Brauner advises nonprofit organizations, for-profit businesses and social enterprises on all aspects of the employment relationship, including avoidance of litigation, wage/hour compliance, preventing unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, reductions-in-force, lawful hiring and terminations, disability, pregnancy and religious reasonable accommodation issues, and compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations. She has significant experience preparing employment, severance, confidentiality, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, as well as employee handbooks and policies.
Ms. Brauner also conducts human resources compliance audits on issues such as worker classification (exempt/nonexempt employees and independent contractors/employees). She assists employers in developing and implementing systems and procedures to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws. In addition, she conducts manager and employee training on workplace issues such as preventing discrimination and harassment. She also conducts investigations of complaints of unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Ms. Brauner has extensive experience defending employers in court, including successfully first-chairing both jury and bench trials. In addition, she responds to charges of discrimination before the EEOC and other government agencies, and inquiries from the Department of Labor.
News & Publications
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
- Tufts University, B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, studied abroad at L’Institut Politique and La Sorbonne
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Brooklyn Law School Alumni/Student Mentor Program, Founder
- NY Tufts Professional Women’s Networking Group, Founder
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America for Labor and Employment Law – Management, 2019-20
- Named among “New York Metro Super Lawyers” for Employment & Labor, 2014-2020
- Recognized in HRE Magazine among “The Nation’s Most Powerful Employment Attorneys” as one of 40 “Up and Comers In Employment Law,” 2014
- SmartCEO Magazine Finalist for Industry Leader, 2014
- Brooklyn Law School American Jurisprudence Awards: Constitutional Law Litigation, Professional Ethics, Trial Advocacy
- Obtained defense jury verdict for employer in race discrimination lawsuit.
- Successfully defended higher education institution in sex harassment and retaliatory discharge lawsuit.
- Successfully defended not-for-profit services provider in race, national origin discrimination, and retaliation lawsuit.
- Handled nationwide reduction-in-force of global media company.
- Successfully defended multi-plaintiff race discrimination action.
- Successfully represented real estate management company in precedent-setting case relating to arbitration of employment claims.
- Handled worker reclassification of global media and trend-reporting company.