Ms. Carty is the former managing partner of the New York office and a former member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Ms. Carty represents clients in commercial and employment-related litigation, agency proceedings, arbitrations and mediations; counsels regarding the gamut of employment issues, including anti-discrimination and anti-retaliation laws, whistleblower laws, classification of workers, and restrictive covenant and trade secret issues; negotiates and prepares employment and related agreements; and prepares employment manuals and policies. Ms. Carty’s practice also includes counseling and representing not-for-profit entities as litigation and general outside counsel, with recent experience in self-dealing, breach of fiduciary duty issues and governance.
News & Publications
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Final New York State Sexual Harassment Guidance and Forms Issued Days Before Effective Date
- New York State and City Move Aggressively Against Sexual Harassment
- Schnader Attorneys Named to NY Super Lawyers
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- A Review Of Key Sexual Harassment Legal Issues For Businesses
- 7 Tips for Conducting Sexual Harassment Investigations in the Workplace
- Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2017
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- Many Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2016
- Thirty-Seven Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- “Trustworthy and Accurate” Nonprofit Practice Recognized by The Legal 500 USA
- New York Appeals Court Imposes Individual Employee Liability for Interfering with FMLA Leave and Retaliation
- Thirty-Three Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Schnader’s Nonprofit Organizations Group Recognized in The Legal 500
- Partners Richard Barkasy and Christine Carty Named to Schnader’s Executive Committee
- White House Issues Proposal for FTC-Regulated Data Privacy Protection
- Department of Labor Seeks to Put New FLSA Regulations for Homecare Workers Back on Track
- Schnader Mourns the Loss of Partner and Friend Catherine McGrath
- Four Attorneys Join Schnader, Bolstering the Firm’s Strong Real Estate Group
- Drew Kastner Joins Schnader’s NY Office
- Thirty-Two Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Schnader Welcomes Three Attorneys to the New York Office
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2014
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2013
- FAQ: Making Wage Deductions to Recover Inadvertent Overpayment of Wages and Repayment of Advances to Employees
- Thirty-One Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2014
- Cleaning Up from Hurricane Sandy: Important Employment Issues
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2012
- Thirty-Three Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Update: U.S. Department of Labor Increases Pressure to Reclassify Independent Contractor Workers
- Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP Presents Your 12 Labor & Employment Resolutions for 2012
- “Senate Bill Proposes to End Misclassification of Independent Contractors”
- Three New Programs to Encourage Worker Reclassification Unveiled
- Sixty-Eight Schnader Attorneys Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Senate Bill Proposes to End Misclassification of Independent Contractors
- Thirty Schnader Attorneys Recognized as “The Best Lawyers in America” for 2012
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2011
- Schnader Welcomes Sarah Hewitt to the Firm
- Thirty-Two Schnader Attorneys Recognized as “Best Lawyers in America” for 2011
- Getting Ready for Summer – Employment and Tax Law Guidelines for Hiring Interns
- Getting Ready for Summer – Employment and Tax Law Guidelines for Hiring Interns
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2010
- Seven Schnader Attorneys Honored as 2009 New York Super Lawyers
- Flexing Its Muscles – Politically Realigned Congress Approves Bill That Reverses Supreme Court’s Controversial Ledbetter Decision
- Thirty-Five Schnader Attorneys Are 2006 Super Lawyers
- Two Schnader Attorneys Honored As New York Super Lawyers
- Covenants Against Competition In Franchise Agreements
Community & Pro Bono
- Christodora, Inc., Board of Directors, Member
- Pawling Farmers Market, Inc., Board of Directors, Member
- State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D., 1977
- SUNY at Stony Brook, B.A., cum laude, 1973
- New York, 1978
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
- American Bar Association, Sections on Labor & Employment Law and Litigation, member
- New York State Bar Association, Section on Labor & Employment Law, member
- Bar Association of the City of New York, member
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2010-2020
- Noted as a “New York Super Lawyer” for Labor and Employment Law, 2006-2014, 2016-2018
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
- New York County Lawyers’ Association, An Outstanding Woman of the Bar, 2004
- University of New York at Buffalo Law Review, Comments Editor
- Successfully defended national retailer in gender discrimination, sexual harassment and retaliation arbitrations.
- Defended national retailer in wage and hour arbitrations.
- Conducted numerous sexual harassment investigations.
- Successfully defended national insurance brokerage and brokers against an application for a temporary restraining order in action alleging theft of confidential information; case settled on terms favorable to the brokerage.
- Obtained preliminary injunction on behalf of national insurance brokerage to prohibit solicitation of former customer insureds after a sale of a business; case settled on terms favorable to a brokerage.
- Defended medical billing company in arbitration against claims of breach of exclusive dealing contract; case settled.
- Defended broker-dealer in FINRA arbitration by a former employee seeking $10 million in commissions. The case settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Successfully defended broker-dealer client in a FINRA arbitration commenced by a former executive claiming a substantial contractual severance. A decision for broker-dealer.
- Defended trustee shareholder in a contract dispute brought by a significant shareholder of two closely held family-owned corporations. Case dismissed in client’s favor. Appeals dismissed.
- Defended bank broker-dealer in action brought by a former employee alleging sexual and religious harassment, gender discrimination and retaliation. Obtained summary judgment.
- Defended proceedings by regulatory bodies and individual claims that workers are improperly classified as independent contractors.
- Defended corporate employer in action for breach of contract for a bonus; prosecuted claims of theft of confidential information and trade secrets. The case settled on terms favorable to the employer.
- Represented founder and member of a board of the charitable organization in “excess benefit” investigation and associated proceeding with the Internal Revenue Service and the New York Charities Bureau. Obtained full abatement of excise taxes and dismissal of agency investigations.
- Represented not-for-profit in connection with an investigation by New York Charities Bureau initiated by the former president into alleged breaches of fiduciary duties by board members. Obtained dismissal of agency investigation with a finding of no violations or impropriety.
- Conducted and advised concerning numerous sexual, racial and religious harassment, gender discrimination and retaliation investigations on behalf of employers.
- Represented 50% shareholder of medical practice in litigation arising from breaches of fiduciary duties, including attempted breach of restrictive covenants and theft of confidential information concerning patients. Obtained settlement favorable to client.
- Chris Carty and Scott Wenner Presented on Trends in Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Claims
- Schnader Hosts T.E.R.M.S III NYC – Employment Risk Management Salon
- Schnader Hosts T.E.R.M.S NYC – The 2nd Employment Risk Management Salon
- Christine Carty Presented Lorman Webinar on Non-Profit Worker Classification
- Chris Carty Presented “Current Employment Issues for Nonprofits” Seminar
- Chris Carty Presented “Selected Employment Issues for Nonprofits” Seminar
- Schnader’s New York Office Presented: What’s on the Horizon for Employers – The 2011-2012 Regulatory Storm and How to Prepare for It
- Schnader Presented: What’s on the Horizon for Employers – The 2011-2012 Regulatory Storm and How to Prepare for It
- Carty a Panelist on “Hot Topics in Outsourcing, Identifying and Addressing Common Issues and Resolving Disputes”