Mathew B. West has broad experience in litigating, arbitrating and mediating complex commercial disputes. He has tried a number of cases and arbitrations and has argued appeals in both state and federal court. Over the course of his career, Mr. West has litigated and arbitrated a wide range of disputes, but concentrates in such areas as the financial services industry, insurance and reinsurance matters, intellectual property, bankruptcy proceedings, business governance, derivative financing and art law.
Prior to joining Schnader, Mr. West was associated with Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy LLC and Sullivan & Cromwell LLC.
News & Publications
Community & Pro Bono
- The English-Speaking Union, Member of the Board of Directors, 2017-present
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Hamilton College, B.A., Anthropology, 1984
- New York, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS U.S.)
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Financial Services Litigation
- Representation of financial guarantor in a lawsuit against an investment bank related to subprime mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of multiple “feeder” funds, fund-of-funds and direct investors in Bernard L. Madoff Investments Securities LLC (“BLMIS”) in proceedings with the BLMIS Trustee.
- Representation of a hedge fund in obtaining dismissal of federal securities fraud claims.
- Representation of Enron Unsecured Creditors Committee in various litigation matters related to, among other things, energy contracts, swap contracts, real estate investment trusts and employee severance issues.
- Representation of a national bank in various litigations concerning commercial real estate loans.
- Representation of a specialty lender in actions enforcing loan agreements, including foreclosure and levy proceedings.
- Representation of a regional bank in a consumer fraud class action litigation
- Representation of a major insurer in two separate litigations seeking to recover tens of millions of dollars of reinsurance re-coverables arising out of its settlement of certain asbestos claims.
- Representation of a reinsurer in arbitration with a governmental agency concerning over $40 million in alleged coverage claims.
- Representation of an insurer in a successful five-day arbitration with its reinsurer regarding the disposition of $10 million of sessions maintained in a custodial fund.
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical company in a securities fraud litigation concerning alleged channel stuffing.
- Representation of a Swiss manufacturer in a successful four day trial in opposition to preliminary injunction in federal court.
- Representation of a financial services company in successfully obtaining summary judgment to require its adversary to submit a closing balance sheet dispute to alternative dispute resolution.
- Representation of a private art foundation concerning the provenance of certain photographic prints.
- Representation of a New York City design firm in obtaining injunctive relief concerning infringement of its intellectual property.
- Representation of an art foundation in blocking the auction of certain photographic prints on grounds that the prints infringed the foundation’s intellectual property rights.