Ms. Harmon, who was re-elected to the Executive Committee, is a partner in the Business Services Department, and co-chair of both the Environmental Services, Energy, and Sustainability Practice Group, and the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. As a corporate attorney, she provides advice to businesses on matters such as strategic alliances, business combinations, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, dispositions, exit planning, project development, compliance, employment, financing and public-private partnerships. Ms. Harmon represents family businesses, start-ups, and both publicly and privately held entities. Her clients are typically in heavily regulated industries, where permitting, compliance, and environmental issues are critical. She has represented venture capital funds, angel investors, private equity, and strategic buyers in various investments, loans, and capital contributions. Ms. Harmon joined Schnader after serving as deputy general counsel for an environmental services company, where she was responsible for operations, mergers, acquisitions, integration, and divestitures, as well as oversight of outside counsel.
News & Publications
- Ira Richards Elected to Schnader’s Executive Committee; Megan Harmon Re-Elected
- Updated Standards for Phase I Environmental Assessment
- Environmental, health and safety due diligence when buying or selling a business: Beyond a Phase I
- Pa. High Court Points Way To Valid Employer No-Poach Deals
- State Supreme Court to Hear No-Poach Employment Case, First in Pennsylvania
- Schnader’s M&A Practice Ranked by IFLR 1000
- Megan Harmon Marks 30 Years of Giving Scholarships to Students at Woodland Hills High School
- No-poach employment provisions – are they still acceptable?
- Do We Have a Deal? A Groundbreaking Court Decision May Impact MAE Issues
- Steves and Sons vs. Jeld-Wen: The First Private Antitrust Divestiture Suit
- Schnader’s M&A Practice Ranked by IFLR 1000
- Schnader’s M&A Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 USA
- Schnader Advises Valley Pool Sales Regarding Acquisition by Large National Pool Retailer
- Schnader Advises Waste Management Regarding Acquisition of Saratoga Landfill
- Schnader’s M&A Practice Recognized by The Legal 500
- Megan Harmon Assists E-Commerce Firm in Transaction
- Megan Harmon and Sarah Hewitt Profiled in The American Lawyer
- Harmon Quoted in “ETE-Williams Merger Flop A Blueprint For Energy Deal Exits”
- Schnader’s M&A Practice Recognized by The Legal 500
- Schnader on Short List to be Named Law Firm of the Year for ‘Driving Middle Market Growth’
- IRS Shuts Down Work Around for Treating a Partner as an Employee
- Schnader Receives Pennsylvania Youth Court Champion Award
- Pittsburgh Attorneys Lead Constitution and Youth Court Projects at Local Charter School
- Schnader Participates in Volunteer Day at Ronald McDonald House of Pittsburgh
- Supreme Court Holds That CERCLA Preemption Is Inapplicable to Statutes of Repose
- Partners Megan Harmon and Ken Puhala Named to Schnader’s Executive Committee
- Third Circuit Remands Marcellus Shale Case Based on the Class Action Fairness Act’s Local Controversy Exception
- Schnader Assists Waste Management in the Acquisition of Two North Dakota Energy Services Companies
- Change The Public Conversation On ‘Unwanted’ Infrastructure
- Eligibility for Reimbursement from the Underground Storage Tank Indemnification Fund Cannot Be Determined on a Per Tank Basis
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Reaffirms Dunham Rule, Confirms that Marcellus Shale Natural Gas is not a “Mineral”
- Bankruptcy Loses Arguments for Special Relief Under Prepetition Agreements for Environmental Liability
- Electronics Recyclers Will Have To Do More and No Doubt Spend More To Obtain Certification Under R2 Solutions’ R2:2013 Standard
- So What’s So Bad About Green Washing?
- Megan Harmon Selected as One of the “2012 Most Powerful and Influential Women of Pennsylvania”
- Schnader Assists Clean Earth, Inc. with its Soil Recycling and Disposal Services Expansion in Southeastern Region of the United States
- “Other Voices: Tips for Closing Your M&A Deal”
- EPA Proposes New, Broad Ranging Air Regulations Applicable to the Oil and Gas Source Category
- Supreme Court Holds Federal Courts Do Not Have Jurisdiction to Hear Federal Common Law Nuisance Claims Relating to Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Superior Court Interprets Oil and Gas Lease in Favor of Landowners
- Megan E. Harmon Named Co-Chair of Schnader’s Environmental Practice Group
Community & Pro Bono
- MPH Memorial Scholarship Foundation, Trustee
- Fort Armstrong Horsemen’s Association and Foundation, Board Member/Treasurer
- Sustainability Pittsburgh, Member
- Churchill Borough Planning Commission, Chairman
- Wilkins Elks, Member
- Implementable Comprehensive Planning Committee for Monroeville Borough, Churchill Borough, and Wilkins Township
- Steering Committee Member for Accessibility, Trails and Parks for Monroeville Borough, Churchill Borough, and Wilkins Township
- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A., summa cum laude
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association, member
- Environmental Industries Association, member
- Board Member, Secretary 2023-2024, Association for Corporate Growth (Pittsburgh Chapter), 2016-present
- Pennsylvania Independent Oil and Gas Association, Member; Market Development Subcommittee and of Diversity Committee Member
- PowerLink, Advisory Board Member, 2017-2019
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals, Three Rivers Chapter, Member
- Recognized in Who’s Who in Energy, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Selected by the National Diversity Council as one of the “2012 Most Powerful and Influential Women of Pennsylvania”
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Listed in The Bond Buyer’s Municipal Marketplace (“The Red Book”)
- Duquesne Law Review, member
- Ms. Harmon has been involved in hundreds of purchase and sale transactions, both equity and involving strategic buyers, both public and private, private equity and financial institutions in a variety of industries.
- Ms. Harmon has been involved with siting and development of waste transportation, treatment storage, and disposal facilities, privatization and public-private partnership infrastructure projects and community benefit and represented developers in community impact agreements with various municipalities and governmental entities.
- Ms. Harmon has guided several of Schnader’s clients in establishing contract management programs for sales and compliance. While with Schnader, Ms. Harmon has acted as regional counsel for what is now the largest environmental services firm in North America. In that capacity, she supervised the providing of all legal services for a geographic region with more than $1 billion in revenue and was responsible for litigation, acquisitions, personnel matters and asset and operations integration.
- Ms. Harmon has acted as special counsel for litigation representing business interests of her clients in negotiating the resolution and settlement of complex litigation matters.
- Ms. Harmon has also counseled chemical manufacturers and distributors in various aspects of their operations and closure.
Environmental Services, Energy, and Sustainability Services
- Ms. Harmon represents organizations in heavily regulated industries, involving extensive permitting and regulatory compliance matters. She has experience in compliance counseling, environmental auditing, investigation and remediation of contaminated properties and corporate environmental strategic planning. She also has experience in sustainability issues and recycling, composting and beneficial use. Ms. Harmon also has been involved in a number of waste-to-energy and methane-to-energy projects.
Real Estate Practice
- Ms. Harmon has commercial transactional real estate experience including purchasing, siting, development, and financing of waste to energy facilities, disposal facilities, transfer stations, material recycling facilities and quarries, methane gas-to-energy projects and waste-to-energy projects as well as standard commercial and industrial transactions. She has participated in the development and sale facilities which have been transformed from remedial projects or brownfield site for beneficial re-use. Ms. Harmon has been involved in the siting and negotiation of long-term leases, operating and maintenance agreements and financing arrangements. She has also negotiated agreements related to timber, mineral rights and gas exploration.
- Ms. Harmon has also represented clients and their real estate divisions in the development of expansion plans and land acquisition planning. She has experience in life estates, set back waivers, property exchange programs, lease to own, options programs, and other land use mechanisms.
- Outside of the office, she has been involved with her local municipal planning commission for over 25 years and is currently Chairperson of the Commission. She has been involved in re-zoning, subdivision and condition use matters.
- In connection with her business counseling and transactional practice, Ms. Harmon has represented businesses and negotiated employment contracts, non-compete agreements, severance and discharge releases. She has handled issues with hiring or onboarding employees, terminations and regulatory matters in connection with transactions.
Financial Services Practice
- Ms. Harmon represents clients in various forms of financings, including tax-exempt bond financing, private placements, convertible securities and revolving credit facilities. She has represented venture capital funds, structured investments, and loans related to investments.
- Schnader Attorneys Attend ACG Great Lakes Capital Connection Conference
- Megan Harmon and Elliot Dater Serve as Coaches and Moderators at Invent Penn State Venture & IP Conference
- Progressive Networking Luncheon for ACG Pittsburgh
- Sarah Hewitt, Richard Barkasy, and Megan Harmon Presented “Delaware – The Land of A Million of Corporations”
- Megan Harmon, Elliot Dater and Keith Whitson Presented M&A – Expanding Successor Liability Trends in Asset Sales CLE
- Megan Harmon and Elliot Dater Presented Private Equity, Venture Capital, Crowdfunding – Investment 101
- Megan Harmon Attended TAGLaw Conference
- Megan Harmon and Elliot Dater Explored “Handling the Sale of a Business”
- Megan Harmon Served as Panelist for Pittsburgh Diversity Council’s Leadership Conference
- Megan Harmon and Elliot Dater Presented “Sales of Goods Contracts – Avoiding Common Mistakes”
- Megan Harmon Presented at 2013 Federation of New York Solid Waste & Recycling Conference
- Megan E. Harmon and Lee Schwartzberg Participated in the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce Workshop “When to Grow or Sell Your Business”