Monica Matias is an associate in the firm’s Litigation Services Department. Her practice involves litigating a broad range of cases in state and federal courts, including both criminal and civil matters. Her experience includes drafting pleadings, facilitating pre-trial discovery and document production, motion practice, and drafting dispositive motions. Ms. Matias also has experience in labor and employment related cases involving Title VII, FMLA, and ADA claims and their state counterparts.
Ms. Matias helps counsel educational institutions on various regulatory and student affairs matters. She has experience adjudicating sexual misconduct allegations arising under Title IX and is certified as a Title IX Investigator by The Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA).
Ms. Matias is also a member of the firm’s Sports Law Team and is actively involved in counseling both businesses and educational institutions on novel issues impacting the sports world.
While in law school, Ms. Matias served as a legal extern to the Honorable Richard G. Andrews at the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
Prior to law school, Ms. Matias was a Division I tennis player at the University of Central Florida. Ms. Matias was also part of the Puerto Rican National Tennis Team where she played alongside Olympic Gold Medalist, Monica Puig, and earned a bronze medal for Puerto Rico in the Central American and Caribbean Games.
News & Publications
- Update on Structuring Student-Athlete NIL Agreements: Recent Decisions, Regulations, and Key Developments
- Update on Key Developments in Name, Image, & Likeness (NIL) Legislative Efforts
- Pleading the Fifth and Civil Litigation: Is It a Good Idea?
- Legal Framework for NIL One Year After NCAA v. Alston – Next Steps for Universities
- Name, Image & Likeness (NIL): Three Key Legal Issues Facing Businesses in College Athlete Endorsement Deals to Date
Community & Pro Bono
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer
- SBP, Volunteer
- Villanova Clinic for Asylum, Refugee, and Emigrant Services, Translator
- Feeding Children Everywhere, Volunteer
- Knights Without Borders, Volunteer
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2021
- University of Central Florida, B.A. in Human Communication, cum laude, 2018
- Spanish – fluent
- Pennsylvania, 2021
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania, Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
- Villanova Environmental Law Journal, Managing Editor of Student Works and Diversity Editor
- Law school awards include: Jan Jancin Award presented by the American Intellectual Property Law Education Foundation; International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocacy Award; and Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania Legal Education Fund scholarship recipient