Schnader is saddened to announce the passing of partner Peter C. Langenus on January 17, 2020.
Peter earned his B.A. from the University of Notre Dame in 1965 and his J.D. from New York University School of Law in 1971. He served in the U.S. Army as a Captain in the Vietnam War, and as Colonel in the first Gulf War. Committed to public and community service, Peter served as the Post Commander for the Veterans of Foreign Wars post 653 in New Canaan, Connecticut. He spearheaded fundraising for the VFW’s support system for local veterans. He served on the board of directors of Regis College, implementing “The Langenus Challenge” to raise scholarship money for students in need. He also served The Boy Scouts, as a troop leader and in assisting scouts with community service, for more than 20 years.
Peter’s law practice focused on general civil litigation matters, particularly product liability matters involving heavy machinery, automotive, asbestos and HVAC equipment. He served as national coordinating counsel for domestic and off-shore manufacturers, and he held board seats, corporate secretary, and general counsel status with various corporations.
News & Publications
Community & Pro Bono
- Trustee, Regis College, Weston, MA
- Former Trustee, U.S. Army War College Foundation
- Former Co-Chair, Parents Advisory Board, Gettysburg College
- Commander, Post 653, Veterans of Foreign Wars, New Canaan, CT
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1971
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1965
- New York, 1973
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Earl G. Harrison Community Service Award, 2016
- Colonel in the Army Reserve in Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Storm, 1990-1991
- Captain in the Infantry of the U.S. Army in Vietnam, 1969-1970
National Coordinating Counsel
- An experienced litigator whose practice focused on complex litigation, Mr. Langenus served as national coordinating counsel for various manufacturers in multi-district litigation and in over 30 state court venues.
- Mr. Langenus handled the acquisition of a leading manufacturer and exporter of consumer products for an overseas corporation, including negotiating and preparing a stock purchase agreement and participating in a private placement to raise asset-based acquisitions and working capital financing from a syndicate of institutional lenders.
- Mr. Langenus handled various EEOC and employment matters for clients. He served as lead defense counsel in employment actions for companies located in Connecticut and New York.
- Mr. Langenus represented manufacturers in all matters arising out of the manufacture and sale of goods, including disputes involving the sale and financing of their businesses and product lines.