Randall P. Hsia is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Services Department. His practice focuses on criminal defense and internal investigations.
Mr. Hsia previously served as a prosecutor with the United States Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. In that role, he investigated and prosecuted a wide variety of complex matters including: domestic and international money laundering; mail and wire fraud; tax crimes; frauds involving pharmaceuticals, debt collection, and mortgage schemes; corruption; international forced labor trafficking; large scale national and international narcotics trafficking; and war crimes. Mr. Hsia began his legal career as a prosecutor with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted a wide range of cases including rape, attempted murder, child abuse, arson, aggravated assault, kidnapping and felony drug charges. His experience includes hundreds of bench trials, over 20 jury trials to verdict, and arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Prior to law school, Mr. Hsia served in the United States Marine Corps as an artillery officer, where he reached the rank of Captain and deployed to Asia and the Middle East. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, he coordinated artillery, aviation, and mortar missions as an Artillery Liaison Officer and Fire Support Coordinator. He also trained active duty and reserve Marines and sailors in close combat as a Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor.
Mr. Hsia has also served as an adjunct professor for Temple University Beasley School of Law, where he taught students about criminal trial practice and trial advocacy.
News & Publications
- Universities and Sports Betting: New Hampshire Federal Court Sets Aside 2019 DOJ Opinion on the Wire Act
- High Court Ruling Highlights Double Jeopardy Complications
- Does sports betting put student athletes at risk?
- Sports Betting and the Impact on Colleges and Universities
- Post-Traumatic Stress, Military Veterans, and A Lawyer’s Responsibility
- Schnader Welcomes Partner Randall Hsia to Litigation Services Department
Community & Pro Bono
Mr. Hsia serves as Administrative Director of Action Tank, a veterans service organization which provides multi-faceted support to address issues such as food insecurity and the opioid crisis in the greater Philadelphia area. He is also a member of the fundraising committee for the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, which provides scholarships for the children of active duty and fallen Marines. Mr. Hsia has also served as a mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2006
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., History and Sociology of Science, 1999
- Mandarin Chinese
- Pennsylvania, 2006
- New Jersey, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- University of Pennsylvania Inn of Court, Member
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Member, Outreach Committee, Marutani Fellowship Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Member, Criminal Law Committee
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Department of Justice Director’s Award for the investigation and prosecution of an international forced labor trafficking organization, 2017
- FBI Director’s Award for the investigation and prosecution of a violent drug trafficking organization in North Philadelphia, 2012
- Military awards include: Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device; Combat Action Ribbon; Presidential Unit Citation; Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal; and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.