A seasoned trial attorney and chair of the Creditors’ Rights and Business Restructuring Practice Group, Mr. Barkasy devotes a substantial portion of his practice to bankruptcy cases and handles a variety of complex commercial litigation matters. He is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
In addition, Mr. Barkasy is an adjunct professor of Delaware Corporate Litigation, Bankruptcy, Products Liability, Secured Transactions, Business Organizations and Construction Law at Rutgers University School of Law-Camden.
Mr. Barkasy divides his time between the firm’s Philadelphia and Wilmington offices.
News & Publications
- Important Updates by Delaware Chancery Court to Its Practice Guidelines
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America
- Schnader Attorneys Named to Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
- Richard Barkasy Re-elected to Schnader’s Executive Committee
- New Bankruptcy Code Section Will Help Landlords and Suppliers and Their Tenants and Customers Affected by Covid-19
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America
- Aviation Happenings: Summer 2020
- Dispute Resolution for Coronavirus-Related Business Claims
- PA Super Lawyers Named
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Schnader Lawyers Named to PA Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Creditors’ Rights and Business Restructuring Group Wins Two International Awards
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Richard Barkasy Published “Supreme Court Says Creditors Must ‘Get It in Writing’”
- Many Schnader Lawyers Named to PA Super Lawyers
- Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2017
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- “Will Merger-Challenge Suits Shift to New York After Gordon v. Verizon?”
- Barkasy Quoted in “Bankruptcy Judge Shortage Could ‘Cripple’ Delaware”
- “Will other courts give ‘disclosure only’ settlements closer scrutiny like Delaware?”
- Aviation Happenings- Winter 2016-2017
- Many Schnader Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers 2016
- Aviation Happenings- Fall 2016
- Thirty-Seven Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Schnader Recognized with International Financial Law Review Award
- Thirty-Three Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2015
- Partners Richard Barkasy and Christine Carty Named to Schnader’s Executive Committee
- Thirty-Two Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2014
- Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2013
- Ninth Circuit Overrules Longstanding (But Questionable) Bankruptcy Appellate Panel Precedent to Allow Bankruptcy Court to Re-Characterize Debt as Equity
- Bankruptcy Loses Arguments for Special Relief Under Prepetition Agreements for Environmental Liability
- Delaware Court of Chancery Unveils New Rule for Confidential Filings
- Schnader Attorneys Featured in Media Reports Regarding the On-Going Auto Bankruptcy Cases
- Schnader Team Representing Unsecured Creditors in the Chrysler and GM Bankruptcies are Highlighted in the Media
- Schnader Succeeds in Coram Bankruptcy Matter
- Issues and Trends in New Jersey Law
- Schnader Opens Delaware Office
- Issues and Trends in New Jersey Law
Community & Pro Bono
- Chairman, Todd Baldino Memorial Scholarship Committee
- Gloucester Twp. Baseball, Executive Board, former President and Coach of the Year (2006)
- Executive Board, Coach and former Vice-President and Trustee, TBAA Soccer
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1988, Camden
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1985
- Pennsylvania, 1988
- Delaware, 2005
- New Jersey, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Registry of Mediators for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- Listed in “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers” in the area of bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights, 2013-2021*
- Rutgers School of Law – Camden, Adjunct Professor of the Year, 2014
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2015-2022; and Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2021-22*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights
Mr. Barkasy represents financial institutions, corporations, colleges and universities, debtors and official and unofficial committees in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and reorganization cases. He also handles bankruptcy litigation and commercial loan foreclosures. Mr. Barkasy’s experience includes:
- Delaware counsel for senior secured lender in Fisker Automotive bankruptcy.
- Represented Ad Hoc committee of salaried retirees in the Hawker Beechcraft bankruptcy. Created fund to provide compensation for participants of terminated pension plan for salaried retirees.
- Obtained recognition of an Indonesian insolvency proceeding as counsel for an Indonesian shipping company as debtor in a Chapter 15 bankruptcy in New York.
- Representation of the Ad Hoc Committees of Consumer Victims, holders of over $1.25 billion of product liability personal injury claimants in the Chrysler and General Motors bankruptcies.
- Represented TD Bank with regard to $20 million construction loan in the bankruptcy of Delaware real estate developer. Prevented imposition of priming lien and obtained stay relief.
- Counsel to AK Steel Corporation in the New Jersey bankruptcy of a steel distributor. Discovery of fraudulent conveyance and breach of fiduciary duty claims resulted in substantial recovery for unsecured creditors and an award of attorneys’ fees for making substantial contribution to case.
- Counsel to Chapter 11 Trustee of public healthcare company in Delaware. Obtained confirmation of reorganization plan pursuant to which more than $50 million was distributed to public shareholders. Prosecuted breach of fiduciary duty claims against former Chairman and CEO.
- Represented a commercial bank with hotel mortgage in overturning a confirmation order on appeal in New Jersey bankruptcy.
- Represented a warehouse lender in a bankruptcy of a Long Island mortgage broker accused of double-hypothecation of collateral.
- Delaware co-counsel to the official retiree committees in the Intermet and Hayes-Lemmerz bankruptcies in Delaware.
- Represented a Pittsburgh-area construction company, Philadelphia paint manufacturer and South Jersey fast food franchisee as debtors in obtaining plan confirmation in Chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to the University of Pennsylvania in the Enron bankruptcy.
- Representation of an equitable lien claimant in Mike Tyson’s bankruptcy.
- Counsel to NCR with respect to $21 million claim in New Jersey bankruptcy of armored car company.
- Represented an unsecured creditors’ committee in a New Jersey bankruptcy of an oil and lube franchisor.
Mr. Barkasy has a wealth of commercial litigation experience, including the following:
- Complex Commercial Cases – Represents clients in a wide variety of complex litigation matters in both federal and state courts, such as breach of fiduciary duty, directors and officers litigation, lender liability, fraudulent conveyance, trademark, antitrust and environmental cost recovery actions. His experience includes corporate litigation in the Delaware Chancery Court.
- Employment – Represents corporations and senior executives in employment discrimination actions, breach of contract cases and restrictive covenant disputes.
- Products Liability – Defense of claims involving diverse products such as helicopter engines, electrical equipment, MRI equipment, power tools and air bag components, as well as asbestos and benzene exposure actions.
- Construction Industry – Counsel to owners, general contractors, construction managers and subcontractors in litigation concerning both public and private contracts.
- In-House Counsel Roundtable: Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Covid-19 Impact on Businesses
- A Webinar on Banking Ethics and Compliance
- Insolvency & Secured Transactions: Understanding Chapter 15 of U.S. Bankruptcy Code and How It Applies to Foreign Proceedings
- A Roundtable Conversation on Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- Sarah Hewitt, Richard Barkasy, and Megan Harmon Presented “Delaware – The Land of A Million of Corporations”
- Richard Barkasy Presented on Government Law
- Richard Barkasy Spoke at Landlord Tenant Law Forum
- Richard Barkasy Presented Lorman Webinar
- Richard Barkasy Presented Ethics Webinar
- John Armstrong Memorial Golf Classic
- Rich Barkasy and Kevin Coleman Presented on Delaware Bankruptcy Practice
- Richard Barkasy and Barry Bressler Presented at PBI’s 17th Annual Real Estate Institute
- Schnader Attorneys Present CLE Seminar “Judgment Enforcement”
- Richard Barkasy Presents CLE Seminar “Collections: Seeking and Collecting a Judgment”
- Schnader Hosts the TAGLaw Northeastern Regional Conference
- Schnader’s Bressler and Barkasy Attend TMA’s 8th Annual Mid-Atlantic Regional Symposium
- Schnader’s Barkasy Speaks at Glass Association of North America Conference in Las Vegas
- Bankruptcy Implications in the New Economy, New Jersey Association of Corporate Counsel
- CLE Session: Judgment Enforcement in Delaware
- Continuing Education Seminar: Foreclosure and Reposession in New Jersey
- Conflict Issues and Multiple Representations
- Fundamentals of Consumer Bankruptcy
- Arbitration Clauses
- Getting the Project Complete and Paid for When the Contractor or Owner Is Insolvent