Mr. Giordano’s practice includes representation and counseling of owners, contractors, and sureties in connection with a broad range of construction-related claims and disputes. He has also represented numerous individual, corporate, industrial, and municipal clients in connection with complex commercial issues and other matters. His work includes litigation, arbitration, and mediation in New York, Connecticut, and various other jurisdictions. He has extensive experience in the discovery, analysis, and management of electronic and paper-based information in large-scale, document-intensive construction and commercial cases.
A seasoned litigator with 21 years of experience, Mr. Giordano’s legal skills are bolstered by his architectural training and his prior career in construction project management as the director of historic preservation for the Central Park Conservancy in New York. He also routinely provides counsel to owners, contractors, and sureties regarding contract review and negotiation, compliance, claims development and resolution, and other transactional issues.
Mr. Giordano joined the firm in 2008, having previously practiced at Sacks Montgomery, PC, a premier New York City construction law boutique.
News & Publications
- Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Schnader Recognized as a Top Firm by Chambers USA
- 40 Schnader Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- Schnader Recognized as a Top Firm by Chambers USA – Ten Schnader Partners Also Recognized
- Thirty-Seven Schnader Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- New York’s Appellate Division Reverses Collateral Estoppel Ruling Against Payment Bond Sureties in Suit to Enforce Arbitration Award
- Schnader Team Wins Appellate Victory in New York
- Schnader Attorneys Achieve Significant Victory for Surety Client Federal Insurance Company
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, M.S., 1989
- Columbia College of Columbia University, B.A., 1986
- New York, 1996
- Connecticut, 1995
- U.S. District Courts for Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and District of Connecticut
- All state courts of New York and Connecticut
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, member
- American Bar Association: Fidelity & Surety Law Committee of the Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, member
- Fordham Environmental Law Journal, member (1993-1995); Senior Symposium Editor (1994-1995)
- Fordham Law School Order of the Coif
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Construction Law and Litigation-Construction, 2017-2019
- Defense of construction surety against $12 million claims by unpaid electrical subcontractor; obtained seminal decision regarding permissible scope of claims under labor and materials payment bonds.
- Prosecution of a lawsuit to recover $25 million against engineering firm for errors and omissions in connection with construction projects at U.S. Army bases in Puerto Rico and New Jersey.
- Prosecution of major retailer’s $5 million construction defect claim in connection with concrete and steel parking deck in Yonkers, New York.
- Defense of owner and developer against contract balance and extra work claims asserted by the general contractor in connection with the construction of apartment complex in Harlem, New York.
- Development, analysis, and prosecution of numerous extra work and delay claims on behalf of specialty foundation and site work contractor in connection with a $45 million waterfront rehabilitation project for the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.
- Defense of electrical contractor against subcontractor’s extra work and delay claims in connection with the construction of a new science building for Columbia University in Manhattan.
- Representation of architectural restoration subcontractor in connection with claims for contract balance and extra work arising out of the restoration of the New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division courthouse in Manhattan.
- Representation of structural steel fabricator and erector in federal court action against steel detailer for errors and omissions in fabrication drawings for six public high school buildings in the Bronx, New York.
- Representation of national supplier of electrical components in a lawsuit to recover unpaid contract balance in connection with the reconstruction of municipal water treatment facility in Brooklyn, New York.
- Representation of performance bond surety in connection with negligence claims asserted against HVAC contractor in a case arising out of the construction of a new law library for the University of Connecticut.
- Defense of furniture delivery company against claims by Connecticut Department of Labor for unfair wage practices.
- Defense of American Museum of Natural History in a lawsuit and related arbitration arising out of educational tourism program.
- Defense of national yellow pages publisher against breach of contract claims by a supplier of high-speed fiber-optic data transmission services.