Drew Kastner is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. He is an experienced intellectual property attorney whose practice includes handling trademark and copyright licensing and general intellectual property matters. Mr. Kastner draws on his previous experience as president of the trademark licensing division of an intellectual property advisory and transactions firm to provide first-hand understanding of the complexities of intellectual property law. His intellectual property background is complemented by significant experience in litigation and technology from the dual perspectives of in-house and outside counsel.
He regularly assists clients in the sports, entertainment, broadcasting, technology, and communications industries, and has served as senior IP counsel for large technology and broadcast corporations, namely, the NBC Television Network and Lucent/Bell Labs Technologies. Mr. Kastner manages diverse intellectual property portfolios for Fortune 500 companies, and provides his clients with counsel on matters ranging from applications to litigation. He has served as chief IP and licensing counsel to the Mickey Mantle Family for 30 years.
His practice includes all aspects of licensing, including developing, negotiating, and implementing new licensing agreements, transactions, and branding strategies for both licensors and licensees. In addition, Mr. Kastner helps clients protect their intellectual property through trademark and copyright prosecution and enforcement, as well as through litigation when necessary. His work also includes music licensing, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence, anti-piracy and anti-counterfeiting in the broadcast, entertainment and sports industries, and rights clearance issues. Specifically, Mr. Kastner has represented major motion picture companies and coalitions including Sony Pictures, Marvel Entertainment, and the Motion Picture Association of America in conjunction with a series of anti-piracy and anti-counterfeiting enforcement actions related to the release of the Spider-Man franchise movies.
News & Publications
- Assessing the Impact of Recent Supreme Court Decisions on Intellectual Property and Creditors’ Rights & Business Restructuring Issues
- Kastner, Yeung, Chou, and Lewis Publish “Crucial Tips for Using IP Watching and Enforcement to Protect Your Business”
- Schnader Helps Philadelphia Bike Share Program IndeGo Hit the Street with Wheels Turning
- Impact of Brexit on Intellectual Property
- In Third Circuit, All Confusion Is Relevant in Trademark Cases
- Drew Kastner Joins Schnader’s NY Office
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1977
- Boston College, B.A., 1974
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- International Trademark Association
- U.S. Copyright Society
- Licensing Executives Society
- New York Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.