The individuals listed below can speak knowledgeably on any topic related to his or her respective practice specialties, as well as offer comment on current trends and/or issues that relate to his or her background or areas of practice. The list is organized alphabetically by subject matter/area.
All individuals can be reached by contacting Julie Meyers, Chief Marketing Officer (phone: 215-751-2541; email: email@example.com). Also, the list below is a representative, but not complete, listing of the kinds of topics on which Schnader attorneys can offer comment or analysis. If you are seeking comment on a topic not listed below, please contact Ms. Meyers.
Alternative Dispute Resolution: The Honorable Timothy K. Lewis
- Former federal appeals judge – served on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit from 1992-1999.
- Past co-chair of Schnader’s Appellate Practice Group.
- Also serves as a mediator, arbitrator, settlement counselor, and trial and appellate practitioner.
- Practice includes federal and state appeals, complex arbitration and mediation matters, commercial litigation, federal and state criminal cases and corporate investigations.
- Also has served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania; and, as an Assistant District Attorney in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
- Judge Lewis is a member of the Board of Directors for both the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution and the American Arbitration Association; he is also a member of the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution.
Appellate Law, Appellate Litigation, Appellate Brief Writing: Bruce P. Merenstein
- Chair of Schnader’s Appellate Practice Group.
- Extensive civil and criminal appellate practice covering constitutional, statutory and common law subject matters, as well as regulatory, procedural and jurisdictional issues.
- Formerly an adjunct professor of appellate advocacy at Drexel University School of Law.
Aviation: J. Denny Shupe
- Former chair of Schnader’s Litigation Services Department and of the Firm’s Aviation and Product Liability Groups.
- Practice encompasses a wide variety of commercial and product liability litigation.
- He has represented domestic and foreign aviation interests, including aircraft, engine and component manufacturers, airlines and air taxi operators, and other aviation entities.
- A retired U.S. Air Force command pilot, he served more than 23 years in the active and reserve forces and has more than 4,400 hours of flight time on a variety of jet aircraft.
Bankruptcy: Richard A. Barkasy
- Chair of the Firm’s Creditor’s Rights and Business Restructuring Practice Group.
- Represents financial institutions, corporations, colleges and universities, debtors and official and unofficial committees in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and reorganization cases.
- Adjunct professor of Bankruptcy, Products Liability, Secured Transactions, Business Organizations and Construction Law at Rutgers University School of Law.
- Member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations: Laurel Gift
- Co-chair of Schnader’s Criminal Defense Group and Internal Investigations, Ethics and Compliance Practice Group.
- Former Senior Deputy Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Represents criminal defendants, witnesses and targets of federal investigations.
- Conducts internal investigations for municipalities, school districts, universities and corporate clients.
E-Commerce: Theresa E. Loscalzo
- Co-chair of the E-Commerce and Technology Practice Group
- Represents institutions of higher education, financial institutions and internet service providers in various e-commerce and technology issues.
Environmental Law, Hazardous Substance Issues: Robert L. Collings
- A former enforcement attorney and manager at the E.P.A., he has more than 25 years of regulatory and litigation experience in environmental law and hazardous substance issues.
- Represents manufacturing, transportation, financial services, retail and real estate businesses with permit needs, claims, and transactional matters involving environmental or regulatory issues.
- Knowledgeable regarding matters involving solid and hazardous waste, as well as water and air pollution and contamination issues.
Federal Courts (including specifically the Third Circuit), Complex Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation, Appellate Litigation, Labor and Employment matters: The Honorable Timothy K. Lewis
- Please see Judge Lewis’ detailed listing above, under ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution.’
First Amendment & Media Law: Jonathan B. Skowron
- Chair of the Communications and Media Industry Group.
- His practice includes representing media companies in defamation and Right to Know Law matters, as well as First Amendment litigation.
Intellectual Property: Ronald E. Karam
- Co-chair of Schnader’s Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Labor and Employment Matters: Michael J. Wietrzychowski
- Serves as co-chair of the Firm’s Labor and Employment Practices Group.
- His practice involves a wide range of labor and employment matters.
- Topics he frequently is called on to address in the employment arena include: discrimination and harassment matters, retaliation and whistle blower matters, occupational safety and health (“OSHA”) matters, and family and medical leave matters.
- Topics he frequently is called on to address in the labor arena include: strikes, lockouts, pickets, business closures and/or relocations, downsizing, collective bargaining agreement negotiations; unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and union organizing campaigns.
Product Liability, Mass Torts: Anthony Watkins
- Mr. Watkins is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on complex litigation arising out of all aspects of the manufacture and sale of goods.
- In addition to representing manufacturers in product liability and contract matters, he has represented their financial and lending divisions in disputes involving the sale and financing of such products.
- Mr. Watkins formerly served as an assistant district attorney for the City of Philadelphia and as a Scotland Yard detective inspector focused on white-collar crime and crime scene examination.
- He served in the Royal Navy for 10 years as an engineer and aviator.
Real Estate (especially as it relates to Government Contracts & Government Affairs): Marilyn Z. Kutler
- Ms. Kutler’s practice centers on real estate and government contracts, with emphasis on complex public, private and institutional projects, including projects involving governmental units and educational institutions.
- She has experience in land-use planning for complex public-private developments, such as sports and entertainment arenas (stadiums), convention centers, new construction in historic districts, heavy industrial developments and energy facilities.
- Ms. Kutler joined Schnader after serving in the Law Department of the City of Philadelphia for more than 10 years, where she focused on public-sector business and real estate matters.
- After supervising the city’s legal work in many major projects, she joined the Mayor’s Cabinet in 1984 when she became City Solicitor. She served as Philadelphia’s chief legal counsel on many of the city’s commercial ventures with developers and mixed public-private funding.