For better or worse, business leaders, public officials, and other highly visible individuals and organizations now live under constant scrutiny of the public eye. Thanks to social media and round-the-clock news coverage, public reports of misconduct and criminal activity are often broadcast quickly; remain visible over time; and cause more damage than ever before. As such, organizations should take a proactive approach to the development of their ethics programs, assessment of internal controls, conducting internal investigations, and responding to government inquiries.
We assist our clients by evaluating and implementing ethics programs, providing training, and conducting investigations. Our work is comprehensive and forward looking. Our investigations are handled with integrity and transparency so that our clients can mitigate risk and return to business operations as promptly as possible.
We are poised to:
- Advise our clients and their leadership team during governmental investigations;
- Conduct investigations involving wide-ranging conduct including all manner of workplace complaints, data security and privacy concerns, fraud, and financial irregularities;
- Prepare comprehensive reports of investigations, presentation to boards and governing bodies; and assist with third-party reporting;
- Review and assess existing ethics programs;
- Implement and provide regular training concerning ethics and compliance systems; and
- Provide anti-corruption training.
Our practice group is led by a former prosecutor with more than fourteen years of investigations experience. Drawing on essential relationships with current and former members of law enforcement, as well as strategic relationships with forensic accountants, computer forensic firms, and other specialists, Schnader’s investigations and compliance team is poised to conduct comprehensive internal investigations and provide compliance advice and support.
News & Publications
- Preventing Misconduct and Reducing Liability Risk in Organizations
- Timothy Lewis Appeared on The Beat With Ari Melber to Address “Trump and Ukraine: The Impeachment Crisis”
- A New Risk Assessment Tool for Sentencing in PA Criminal Cases—Reform or More Harm?
- Laurel Gift Testifies Before the PA Commission on Sentencing as Regional VP of the PA Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Universities and Sports Betting: New Hampshire Federal Court Sets Aside 2019 DOJ Opinion on the Wire Act
- Pa. Courts and the Limits of Corporate Criminal Liability in ‘Pi Delta Psi’
- PA Supreme Court Upholds Pittsburgh Paid Sick Day Act
- Laurel Gift is Quoted in Two Recent Articles in Corporate Counsel Magazine
- High Court Ruling Highlights Double Jeopardy Complications
- Laurel Gift Appeared in an Episode of “Breaking Homicide” on the Investigation Discovery Network
- Supreme Court: Employers Must Timely Raise Affirmative Defenses Involving Administrative Exhaustion Under Title VII
- Does sports betting put student athletes at risk?
- Sports Betting and the Impact on Colleges and Universities
- Laurel Gift Elected as Vice President of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Laurel Gift Receives the President’s and Directors’ Commendation from PACDL
- Post-Traumatic Stress, Military Veterans, and A Lawyer’s Responsibility
- Operation Varsity Blues: Insights on the College Admissions Scandal from a Former Prosecutor
- Schnader Welcomes Partner Randall Hsia to Litigation Services Department
- Tim Lewis Receives CPR’s 2019 Award for Outstanding Contribution to Diversity in ADR
- What Do the SEC’s Proposed Whistleblower Rule Amendments Mean for Businesses?
- Internal Investigations: Five Tangible Benefits of Responding Promptly and Decisively to Reports of Misconduct
- New Anti-Hazing Law Requires PA Colleges & Universities to Post Semi-Annual Reports, with Initial Reports Due Jan. 15, 2019
- Department of Education Requests Comments on Proposed Title IX Regulations
- Taking Statements During Internal Investigations: Garrity and the Fifth Amendment May Prevent Use in Subsequent Legal Proceedings
- How Businesses Can Deal With Cryptocurrency Risks
- Timothy Lewis Was Interviewed for the Online Podcast of the Project on Government Oversight
- It’s a Slam Dunk: Take Steps Now to Avoid Tough Lessons Learned by Several NCAA Basketball Programs
- Jay Evans and Michael Williams Named to Schnader Partnership
- New PA Superior Court Decision Indicates Extra Precautions Needed by Attorneys to Protect Work Product of Third Party Consultants
- Taking a Trip Around the Regulatory Block: U.S. Regulation of Blockchain and Digital Assets
- Don’t Poke the Regulatory Bear: Not a Realistic Option for the Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Industries
- Laurel Gift Wins a Burton Award for the Finest Law Firm Writers of 2018
- Laurel Brandstetter Published “Lessons in Ethics and Compliance: March Madness or March to Readiness”
- California Court Creates Special Duty for Colleges to Protect Students
- Supreme Court Narrows Whistleblower Definition Under Dodd-Frank: Now Are Your Company’s Compliance Systems in Order?
- Whistleblower Status Up For Debate Before SCOTUS: Digital Realty Trust Inc. v. Somers
- It’s A Slam Dunk: Take Steps Now to Avoid Tough Lessons Learned by Several NCAA Basketball Programs
- Marijuana in the Workplace
- An Evening with the Attorneys General: Enforcement Trends in Pennsylvania and Delaware
- A Master Class Seminar on Pursuing Diversity
- What More Can Human Resources Do To Mitigate Risks of Harassment and Violence in the Workplace?
- Emerging Trends in Opioid Enforcement
- A Webinar on Banking Ethics and Compliance
- Karen Baillie Presents at the 2019 PHRA Annual Conference & Exhibition
- The Diversity Dilemma: ADR in the Aftermath of Jay-Z
- Building the Capacity of Nonprofit Arts Organizations Through Board Engagement
- Is this Reasonable? Legal-Issue Spotting for Schools in 2019
- Constitutional Rights in the Digital Age: Is There an App for That?
- Laurel Gift Speaks at Higher Education Compliance Conference of Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics
- Schnader Sponsors and Hosts the CPR Regional Meeting in Philadelphia on April 30
- The Role of Internal Investigations in Ethics and Compliance Programs
- The Legacy and Leadership of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: Future Challenges and Opportunities
- A 10-Year Celebration of the Allegheny County Human Relations Commission
- Recognizing Partner Violence and the Potential for Workplace Violence
- Ethical Issues for Accountants to Consider in the Representation of Their Clients
- Timothy Lewis Gave the Keynote Address at the 30th Anniversary Gala of Pennsylvanians for Modern Courts
- Timothy Lewis Spoke at Duquesne University School of Law and University of Pennsylvania Law School
- “Proposed Rule of Professional Conduct 8.4(g) and Discrimination As An Ethical Violation”
- Internal Investigations and Athletics Compliance in Higher Education
- Laurel Gift Presented ACBA CLE
- Tim Lewis Appeared on MSNBC to Discuss the Mueller Investigation and the President
- Laurel Gift Presented to ACBA Municipal and School Solicitor Section
- Laurel Gift Presented Ethics CLE for ACC