Schnader advances the objectives of our global clients by providing cost-efficient strategies and solution-oriented counseling. We leverage our business and legal experience to facilitate opportunities for clients both in the United States and abroad by drawing upon our relationships with financial institutions, corporations, individuals, law firms and governmental agencies in those jurisdictions.
For more information about our services and a comprehensive list of representative matters, please view our Cross-Border brochure.
Arbitration and Litigation
Known for our outstanding trial and appellate work, we represent international clients before U.S. courts and in U.S. and foreign arbitrations. Our attorneys have appeared as advocates before international and domestic tribunals such as the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), American Arbitration Association (AAA), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), and the Sanctions Committee of the World Bank.
Our team of highly-experienced aviation attorneys has represented many of the world’s leading manufacturers of commercial, general aviation and military aircraft and equipment, as well as domestic and international airlines and aviation insurers, in accident litigation, claims against government agencies, employment litigation, passenger, baggage and cargo claims, and commercial and regulatory matters.
We have substantial experience representing domestic and international clients in all areas of bankruptcy, restructuring, creditors’ rights, workout and related litigation issues faced by distressed companies, creditors and bankruptcy trustees in a variety of industries.
We provide legal and business advice to foreign companies seeking to do business in the United States in areas such as corporate formation, day-to-day operations, regulatory issues, executive compensation, financing, tax planning and general commercial matters.
Distribution, Licensing and Franchising
We assist start-ups and established foreign businesses in bringing their products and services to the U.S. Our clients include manufacturers, distributors, franchisors, intellectual property owners, and service providers from around the globe. We structure and document a broad range of inbound and outbound commercial transactions, as well as transactions among foreign nationals, including import, export and foreign distribution, and help provide resolution for attendant customs issues.
As outside employment and labor counsel to domestic and foreign-based companies, we offer an array of services, including the preparation of employment agreements for inbound executives and outbound expatriates, advice on tax, employment and data protection law requirements, the management of the implementation of global employment policies, and representation in litigation.
We provide patent, trademark, copyright, licensing, outsourcing and technology agreement services and litigation to corporations, individuals and nonprofit organizations throughout the world. Our clients span a broad range of industries including pharmaceutical, medical device, automotive, clothing, consumer products, higher education, manufacturing and software.
Mergers and Acquisitions
We counsel foreign companies seeking to do business in the U.S. on all inbound M&A transactions, including compliance with transactional and regulatory requirements, international accounting and financial reporting standards, executive and employee compensation matters, efficient capital and tax structures, and the requisite comprehensive due diligence.
Led by a former associate director of the United States Securities Exchange Commission’s (SEC) Division of Corporate Finance, our group advises public and private companies, venture capitalists, investment bankers and securities professionals in onshore and offshore capital formation, structuring and offering of derivative securities, private placements and listings on U.S. and foreign securities exchanges, and debt and equity securities. We assist clients in complying with periodic reporting requirements, stock exchange rules and regulations, and navigating regulatory matters involving alleged violations of SEC rules and regulations. In addition, we have experience acting on behalf of foreign issuers, investment banks and investors in connection with SEC-registered, Regulation D, Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings.
Technology and Outsourcing
Our attorneys are continually learning and employing new strategies to meet the growing technological changes. We help businesses navigate the legal issues that arise from government regulations, compliance, social media, and privacy and data protection. We prepare a variety of contractual agreements specific to e-commerce and computer-related activities. We also counsel on compliance with the full-range of applicable laws, including the Digital Media Communications Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, state privacy laws and the EU Data Protection Directive, and regulations, including those of the Federal Trade Commission.
For more information on our International experience, please see our matters list.
News & Publications
- COVID-19: Overview of Legal Issues and Considerations for Foreign Companies Doing Business in the United States
- COVID-19 and New Disclosure Considerations for Public Companies
- Risky Business: Compliance with Independent Contractor Classification Rules Just Got Even More Complicated in California and Beyond
- NY Super Lawyers Named
- Creditors’ Rights and Business Restructuring Group Wins Two International Awards
- Ninth Circuit Panel Reverses Denial of Uber’s Motion to Compel Arbitration of Misclassification Claims and Upholds Class Action Waiver
- Schnader Attorneys Named to NY Super Lawyers
- Schnader Names Scott Wenner New York Managing Partner
- Kenneth Puhala Quoted in The Deal Pipeline
- Schnader Recognized with International Financial Law Review Award
- Schnader Hosts the 2014 World City Bar Leaders Conference
- Schnader Welcomes Three Attorneys to the New York Office
- Schnader Welcomes Partner Christian Moretti
- Affirmative Business Litigation in the United States and in Other Countries
- Resolving Legal Disputes in the United States: Litigation, Arbitration or Mediation
- Partners Megan Harmon and Ken Puhala Named to Schnader’s Executive Committee
- Protecting Your US Business From Unfair Competition by Former Employees Requires Timely and Prudent Action
- Schnader and Yang & Co. Formalize Representation Arrangement for Indonesia Related Legal Matters
- Attorneys from Trujillo Rodriguez & Richards Join Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis
- Schnader Begins Publishing The Pittsburgh-Israel Business Report Blog
- Elliot Dater Quoted in Pitt Business Magazine Article “Israel Rising”
- Elliot Dater Joins Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP
- “Regulators Propose Alternatives to Credit Ratings”
- Sixty-Eight Schnader Attorneys Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Schnader Welcomes Sarah Hewitt to the Firm
- “Starting Up a Foreign Business in the United States”
- Megan Harmon and Elliot Dater Serve as Coaches and Moderators at Invent Penn State Venture & IP Conference
- Five Action Priorities for the Success of Every Business Start Up
- Elliot Dater Presented a CLE on Limited Liability Companies
- Sarah Hewitt, Richard Barkasy, and Megan Harmon Presented “Delaware – The Land of A Million of Corporations”
- Moretti Presented in Italy on Opportunities for Growth and Financing Abroad
- Sarah Hewitt Examined “Emerging Issues in the SEC: Proposed Amendments to the Exchange Act Rules”
- Justine Kasznica Moderated “Drive Forward: A Panel Discussion”
- Justine Kasznica Presented on Local and International Law for the Space Industry
- Justine Kasznica Delivered TEDx Budapest Talk “Who Owns the Space?”
- Elliot Dater Presented at 2013 Israeli Medical Device and Bio-Pharma Companies Life Sciences Roadshow
- Schnader Attorneys Served as Judges for the National Transactional LawMeet at Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel University
- Schnader’s Elliot Dater Presented CLE Seminar “Off to a Good Start (Up)”
- International Bar Association (IBA) Conference
- Alternative Methods of Payment – PayPal and Mobile Payments in the United States
- Employment Issues in Today’s Global Context