Arbitration and Litigation
- Presided over an arbitration involving a contract dispute between a British company and a U.S. company concerning jet engine technology and the manufacture of parts and components for aircraft engines.
- Represented a French company in U.S. criminal and civil proceedings arising out of alleged violations of a trade embargo.
Represented an Italian engineering company in U.S. courts concerning claims over ownership and management of a U.S. based subsidiary.
- Represented a German company in U.S. courts in product liability/toxic tort actions.
- Represented a Mexican restaurant franchisor in U.S. courts alleging unfair competition, trade dress and trademark claims against a U.S. company.
- Represented the Mexican national railroad in a case in Delaware state court seeking to hold the railroad liable for injuries to another railroad’s employee in a railcar accident.
- Represented a Chinese biopharmaceutical company in arbitration with a private equity company; the arbitration proceeding was administered by Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- Represented Indonesian and Singaporean companies in proceedings under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code seeking recognition of foreign proceedings and implementation of debt restructuring plans.
- Successfully represented a Saudi Arabian appliance distributor in a wrongful termination contract arbitration before the American Arbitration Association.
- Obtained dismissal in district court of claims for tortious interference with employment and discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity on behalf of EL AL Israel Airlines and successfully argued appeal before the Second Circuit.
- Co-lead counsel for a defense contractor in litigation arising out of a multiple fatality aircraft crash in Afghanistan.
- Lead counsel for an aerospace insulation blanket manufacturer in federal multidistrict litigation arising out of the crash in 1998 of Swissair Flight 111.
- Drafted amicus briefs for world’s largest airline trade association in multiple Federal Circuit Court/Supreme Court appeals.
- Co-lead counsel for a helicopter manufacturer in litigation arising from the fatal crash of a U.S. Navy MH-53E in Sigonella, Italy.
- Lead counsel in achieving a defense verdict for one of the world’s largest international airlines in a case brought under the Montreal Convention.
Distribution, Licensing and Franchising
- Represented the largest Italian R&D medical facility in connection with licensing arrangements with a public U.S. pharmaceutical company.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiaries of a German conglomerate in entering the U.S. market and subsequently reorganizing its multiple business divisions in the U.S.
- Assisted numerous multinational fashion brands with respect to structuring of corporate entities and operations, contractual issues, operation of proprietary retail stores, licensing of monomark boutiques, wholesale operations and merchandising activities.
- Represented a Taiwanese limited partner in a partnership dispute among the owners of one of the largest resorts in the state of Hawaii.
- Represent an Italian manufacturer of luxury bed and bath linens in a copyright dispute with a US photographer.
- Assist domestic and foreign-based multinational businesses in recognizing and complying with employment, tax, labor and data protection law requirements of nations in which they do or seek to do business.
- Counsel on compliance with the European Union Data Protection Directive, including development of contracts, internal policies and procedures, training and other materials required for compliance.
- Review multi-employer pension plans and manage litigation arising out of such plans, including defending trustees against fiduciary obligation litigation.
- Assist clients in the design and execution of workforce reductions compliant with federal and state notice, antidiscrimination and collective bargaining laws.
- Represented a U.K. company in employment matters for United States sales representatives.
- Represented a Japanese manufacturer of photolithography printing equipment used in semiconductor manufacturing, suing a competing equipment manufacturer for patent infringement. The case involved simultaneous litigation in the U.S., Europe, Japan, and before the U.S. International Trade Commission. The litigation resulted in a settlement of $145 million for the client.
- Defended and settled a claim of patent infringement against our client, a German manufacturer of rapid thermal processing equipment used in semiconductor manufacturing.
- Represented a Canadian owner of a patent for a semiconductor manufacturing process in infringement litigation against a Korean company. This matter involved coordination with litigation in Japan and Germany.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiary of an Italian company in a product design patent infringement action brought by U.S., Canadian and Taiwanese entities.
- Negotiated the settlement of a claim that a U.K. client’s use in the U.S. of its internationally-protected trademark infringed the rights of a U.S. trademark owner.
- Provide US trademark prosecution and counseling services to dozens of different foreign law firms and their clients around the world.
- Advised the U.S. subsidiary of an Italian company, one of the world’s leaders in the diagnostics business, in its $240 million acquisition of a NASDAQ-listed manufacturer of contrast agents.
- Represented a leading European provider of supply management software and services in its acquisition of a U.S. vendor of on-demand supply management solutions for mid-market companies.
- Represented a Finnish entrepreneur in the sale of an oil/water separation company that services the shipping industry. Also represented a related U.S. corporation in the sale of a division to a Finnish buyer that provides corrosion protection for ocean pilings.
- Advised a consortium of European investors, including entities affiliated with a leading Israeli real estate investment fund and an Italian global hotelier, in connection with a $724 million transaction to acquire and develop an existing hotel and casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Represented a Chinese company in the purchase of a Canadian solar electric inverter business.
- Represented a Japanese company in selling its assets to a domestic corporation active in the steel services area.
- Represented another Japanese company in the auction of a steel related operation from a domestic private equity fund.
- Represented a U.K.-based fund in a Series H convertible preferred investment in a U.S. biotech company and a recapitalization transaction of a U.S. software company.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed company in connection with a U.S. public offering and cross-listing on the Prague Stock Exchange and issue of new primary shares under a Regulation S stock offering in Europe.
- Advised an Italian foreign private issuer listed on the NYSE regarding compliance with the SEC’s Sarbanes-Oxley Act, as well as with Italian and NYSE listing standards.
Technology and Outsourcing
- Advised clients on cross-border data exchange and information governance, including data breach and privacy issues.
- Negotiated a global outsourcing agreement on behalf of a U.S.-based company for services to be delivered to its subsidiaries in Europe, North America, Australia and India.
- Negotiated software licensing agreements for subsidiaries of a U.S.-based company in Japan, Australia and Thailand.
- Helped a U.S.-based client set up a subsidiary to sell software in Australia.
- Represented a small-cap U.S. public company in the acquisition of the stock of a software company with a proprietary mobile platform from a privately-held U.K. company.
News & Publications
- The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act – Financial Relief for Businesses
- COVID-19: SEC Guidance Regarding Annual Shareholder Meetings
- COVID-19: Overview of Legal Issues and Considerations for Foreign Companies Doing Business in the United States
- Risky Business: Compliance with Independent Contractor Classification Rules Just Got Even More Complicated in California and Beyond